Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

RUN

No description
by

raymond aldridge

on 21 March 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of RUN

Retinoblastoma is diagnosed in 250 to 350 children per year in the United States. This disorder is
shared equally thought
all races and genders. It is found all over the world The disorder is usually spotted when the person is still young; commonly between the ages of 2-5 years old. Occurs when nerve cells in the retina develop genetic mutations causing the cells to continue growing and multiplying when healthy cells would die equaling accumulating mass of cells form a tumor. Retinoblastoma is a rapidly developing cancer that develops in the cells of retina (is a light- sensitive layer of tissue, lining the inner surface of the eye).
Retinoblastoma got its name by the (Rb) gene that is mutated in many type on cancers
In1805, William Hey was the first to discover this disease
in 1836, Langenbech, Robin, and Nystin of Paris confirmed by microscopic studies that the tumor definitely was coming from the retina part of the eye
In 1891, Flexner of Johns Hopkins was first to notice rosettes within the tumor
In October of 2007, a team of investigators at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, Tenn) claimed to have identified the specific cell that gives rise to retinoblastoma the cancer can spread to the brain and even the spine in extreme conditions. General description and how it got its name/history The retinoblastoma gene (Rb) encodes a protein that acts by altering the activity of transcription factors. By doing that (Rb) is able to indirectly control gene expression(Gene expression is the process by which information from a gene is used in the synthesis of a functional gene product.) Causes There are two different types of Retinoblastoma
1. The sporadic form of the disease can affect anyone and is dependent on the genetic change( mutation) acquired during the lifetime of the affected individual
2. The familial form of the disease results when affected individuals inherit a defective copy of the gene from one of the parents

40% of the people with this disease will be in inherit and the other 60% will not 2 different forms How common it is is the most common intraocular cancer of childhood
equally common in both girls and boys, usually affecting one of the eyes (between 70 to 75 % is only one eye) more than 90% of children
can be cured if early
detection and treatment
of the eye. affect kids
under the age of 5, usually
before the child turns two
years old Luckily due to
our modern scientific abilities we can
combat this impairment effectively. By Alex & Ray This picture depicts the cancer in it's early stages. Symptoms Retinoblastoma http://cancer.emedtv.com/retinoblastoma/retinoblastoma-treatments-p5.html
http://www.chop.edu/service/oncology/cancers-explained/retinoblastoma-diagnosing-and-treating-retinoblastoma-in-children.html
http://www.ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/retinoblastoma
http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/content/12/10/1237.full this is what
they saw. White (leukocoria) or red pupil instead of the normal black
Misaligned eyes (strabismus) looking toward the ear or nose
Reddened, painful eye
Enlarged pupil
Different-colored irises
Poor vision For treating this cancer many different procidures can be used, taloring the medical actions towards the severtiy of the patient.
here is a list of just some of the practices used. Surgery
Having an eye removed
Radiation therapy
Laser therapy
Treatment by disease and stage
Iris melanoma
Small choroidal and ciliary body tumor
Medium choroidal and ciliary body tumor
Large choroidal and ciliary body tumor
Extraocular extension melanoma
Palliative/supportive care
Recurrent intraocular melanoma
Metastatic intraocular melanoma
If treatment fails
and more... Treatments
Full transcript