Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Christianities
Introduction, Orthodox, Latino, Native American, African American
Began as a community of Jews who followed Jesus
Immaculate Conception: Virgin Birth
Baptism & Temptation
Miracles / Signs
Parables & Sermons: Universal Love
Crucifixion, Resurrection & Ascension
God as intelligent and compassionate designer
God as Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit
Divinity & Resurrection of Jesus
Angels, Demons & Satan (“adversary”)
Afterlife & purgatory
Old Testament: Jewish TNK & Greek Septuagint
New Testament: Marcion (140 CE); Athanasius (367)
Synoptic Gospels: Mathew, Mark, & Luke
Epistles: Pauline & Universal
Apocalypse / Revelations
Gospel of Thomas
Gospel of Thomas: Gnosticism
P) These are the secret sayings which the living Jesus spoke and which Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down.
1) And He said, "Whoever finds the interpretation of these sayings will not experience death."
2) Jesus said, "Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds, he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be astonished, and he will rule over the All."
3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the Kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living Father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."
Rom 2:29 - For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither [is that] circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he [is] a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision [is that] of the heart, in the spirit, [and] not in the letter; whose praise [is] not of men, but of God.
Roman Persecution & Christian Martyrdom
(Great Persecution: 303 to 312/313 CE)
Icons & Architecture
Great Schism of 1054
Theosis: “God became man that man might
become god,” St. Athanasius of Alexandria
1518–1521: Military Conquest
1531: Spiritual Conquest
1556: Apparition of Guadalupe
1649: Nican Mopohua Narrative
Devotion in Mexico & US
Church & Crown
Reconquista , Inquisition, Expeditions (15th C.)
Axis Mundi: Center of the world & connection between heaven & earth
Imago Mundi: copy of the sacred cosmos & paradigm for the periphery
Tenochtitlan, Aztec Empire
Coatlicue: “The Mother of Gods”
Tonantzin: 'Our Revered Mother'
Tapeyec: Pre-Columbian worship site of 'Tonantzin'
15-16th C. German Priest
95 Thesis: critique of Church corruption (e.g. sale of indulgences)
Frederick III of Saxony
Denominations & Colonial America
English vs. Spanish Colonial Christianities
Protestants & "Separatists" (e.g. Pilgrims/Puritans)
William Penn (Quaker; Freedom; Baptists & Jefferson)
Christianity in Early Northern America
Native American & African American Christianities
War, Disease & Reservations
Near Extinction: Genocide
New Formations: Ghost Dance
Massacre at Wounded Knee
Native American Church
African Religions: Yoruba & Islam
Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade
Jim Crow & The Great Migration
Civil Rights Movement
FILM: God in America "The Soul of a Nation" by PBS (ch3/5:00 & ch5/35:00)
Prayer: Petitionary & Worship
Francisco Pradilla Ortiz "La Rendición de Granada", 1882
Mark 14:60-64New King James Version (NKJV)
60 And the high priest stood up in the midst and asked Jesus, saying, “Do You answer nothing? What is it these men testify against You?” 61 But He kept silent and answered nothing.
Again the high priest asked Him, saying to Him, “Are You the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?”
62 Jesus said, “I am. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.”
63 Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “What further need do we have of witnesses? 64 You have heard the blasphemy! What do you think?”
Patriarch of Constantinople Michael Cerularius
Other 16th C. Reformations
- Switzerland: Huldrych Zwingli & John Calvin
- England: King Henry VIII & the Puritans