Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Old Age
Changes In Sexual Activity
Younger people often believe the elderly no longer participate in sexual activity, when really, most people over the age of 65 continue to be interested in sex and still engage in sexual activity into their 70s and 80s. The reason some people do not is mostly related to poor health or death of a spouse, not because they lack interest. Societal attitudes also affects some elderly sex lives. Children and family find the idea of love and sex in old age ridiculous and disgusting so people who grow old may give up on sexual activity because they are "supposed to".
* For younger people transitions in life are graduation marriage, parenthood are usually positive and create a deeper involvement in life.
* in the late adulthood, transitions are retirement, widowhood- are often negative and reduce responsibilities and increase isolation.
* About 50 percent of women and 45 percent of men are widowed bythe age of 65.
* The symptoms of depression are very common in older adults.
* Many older people have suffered because of life challenges such as aging and loss of spouses and friends.
* Many of our attitudes about aging are based on a decremental model of aging.
*Which Holds that progressive physical and mental decline in inevitable with age.
* Young people tend to believe that the old suffer from poor health.
* Attitudes toward aging may be critical for adjustment and survival. Attitudes may contribute to observed maladaptive behaviors among the aged, some of which may result in premature death.
* The older person who tends to be rigid was probably rigid as a young adult.
* senility which affects only 10 percent of the aged, usually results from some disease rather than from the natural process of aging.
As you age your body mental function changes too.One of the diseases affects the brain ;which is called senile dementia.senile dementia is caused by damage to brain cells and interferes with the ability of brain cells to communicate with each other.Another disease is Alzheimer's ,this will slowly destroy your memory and thinking skills and eventually the ability to carry simple objects.the main problem with these diseases is it's the fourth leading cause of death for U.S adults.
Chapter 5 Section 2
Changes In Mental Functioning
Attitudes Toward Aging
Changes In Life Situation