Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Early Man/Hominids
2. Homo Habilis
3. Homo Erectus
4. Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis
5. Homo Sapiens Sapiens 3-4 million years ago... What capabilities helped hominids survive? 1. Australopithecus Afarensis ...a hominid named Lucy
roamed the earth... ...she was scientifically known as Australopithecus Afarensis... ...her capability was being a BIPED... 3-4 million years ago Australopithecus Afarensis Benefits of Bipeds: Gather more food Protect children C a p a b i l i t y 1.5 - 2 million years ago... Homo Habilis roamed the earth he was also known as the "Handy Man"
1. Stone tools
2. Living in groups The capabilities of Handy Man were: 1.5-2 million years ago Homo Habilis "Handy Man" 1.8 million - 200,000 B.C.E. Homo Erectus "Upright Man" 200,000 - 28,000 years ago Homo Sapien Neanderthalensis "Neanderthal Man" 150,000 years ago Homo Sapiens Sapiens "Doubly Wise Man" "Lucy" 1.8 million - 200,000 B.C.E. Benefits of living in groups: 1. Collect food over larger areas of land 2. Protection against animal attacks Benefits of stone tools: Skin animals for more meat Crush bones for marrow ...lived Homo Erectus... also known as Upright Man Capabilities: strong bones large brain = = travel farther distances & migrate out of Africa create fire, make complex tools, build shelter Strong bones helped
this group to stand
up taller and travel
farther distances. This picture shows hominids cooking meat
over fire and using a mountainside for
shelter. They are also working together. Homo Erectus were the first hominids to migrate out of Africa. They went to Asia and Europe. 2. Homo Habilis 3. Homo Erectus 4. Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis 5. Homo Sapiens Sapiens 200,000 - 28,000 years ago... ...lived Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis... ...also known as Neanderthal Man. This group's capabilities were larger brains and a sense of community. Skilled toolmakers - over 60 types Knives, scrapers, spear points Hunt in an organized group Burial sites and a sense of ritual Help the injured when hunting You can see the sense of community in the burial ritual. Hunting in an organized group with spears. Neanderthal Man Homo Sapiens Sapiens Nickname: Doubly Wise Man Capabilities
Larger Brain Create better tools Shelter Clothing Needles for sewing animal skins together.
Could stay warmer in colder climates. Tools: Hooks and spears to catch fish Spear thrower hunt from a distance
safer Tools for engraving and carving spear thrower spear head and hook 150,000 years ago - early modern humans built more permanent shelter out of stone Doubly Wise Man migrated from Africa to Europe, Asia, Australia, North American, and South America Homo Sapiens Sapiens created cave art
to express themselves. They were said to
have started the first complex
language. By: Mrs. Redard