Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Special Education Around the World
Transcript of Special Education Around the World
subcategories of "exceptionalities." Identification -Intellectual
-Multiple Identification is made by the Identification
Placement and Review Committee (IPRC) which
is made up of:
-Special Education Personnel
-Student Services Personnel
-Principle/ Vice Principle Confirmation is then given by a prediatrician,
psychologist, social worker or psychiatrist. * Funding is based on NEED basis as well as category and severity of exceptionality. Special Education * use IEP's
* emphasize inclusion
* collaborative approach on problem solving Requirements to Teach * Teachers receive regular education diploma first One of the most accessible & progressive public education systems in Latin America What does a school day in Costa Rica look like? Elementary school is 6 years and students attend from 7-11:30.
High school is 5 years and students attend from 7-4. Special Education in Costa Rica * 530 special education classrooms
* Most students in special education are labeled with a mild disability:
-Attention Deficit Disorder Services fall under 3 categories:
-Access Level Services
-Nonsignificant Modifications (80%)
-Significant Modifications Laws Title II Article 17 Equal Opportunity Law says: *must make adaptations and provide assistive services to people with disabilities
* must be placed in Least Restrictive Environment Requirements to Teach: NO bachelor's degree required, just a 3 year certificate Laws 1977 Special Education Promotion Act: 1999 The Disabled, The Aged, The Pregnant Convenience Promotion Act 2000 Mental Health Law free special education, physical therapy, speech therapy and medical services for individuals with special needs similar to the Architechtural Barrier Act Early Intervention * People with disabilities register at local government office and are given a Tier Number 1-6
* 16% of children who qualify for services are currently receiving it
* 84% attend no educational program
* each child that's eligible for services has an IEP How many colleges offer special education training in South Korea? What is your guess? Laws: "Handicapped Child" and "Special Education" defined Handicapped Child Special Education "a person age 3-21 whose capacity for adaptive behaviors is limited, due to faulty physical, mental, psychological or behavioral developement, and is in need of Special Ed." "methodological teaching, learning and treatment granted by the law to the handicapped child" Special Education Goals of Israel: "to develop and advance the skills and abilities of the special needs child, to correct and enhance the physical, mental, emotional and behavioral functioning of the child as well as to help learn acceptable social behavior with the goal to facilitate their integration into society" Placement *tested by a licensed school psychologist in order to be deemed eligible for special education services
*placement committee decides placement:
-2 Ministry of Education Supervisors
-Representative of Education Authority
-Representative of National Parents Org.
* Parents have NO legal rights to attend Placement Committee meetings or be a part of decision making progress Laws in India Rehabilitation on Council of India Act:
The National Trust for Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation, and Multiple Disabilities Act mandate minimum standards of education for professionals working with people with disabilities Special Education Services Provided from private or nongovernment organizations where family pays a fee Three stages of schooling: -Basic Stage: arts and crafts
-Prevocational Stage: Independant Living
-Vocational Stage: office skills