Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Ptolemy
El Greek Astronomer Born 87
AD, Egypt But sadly:( he died the years AD 168 at Alexandria Egypt. But what was really inside his head?? Well of course Astronomy and Geography Ptolemy examined and modeled the Almagest! Which by the way is divided in 13 books But we might be saying what the heck is Almagest! So why not take a deeper experience about this old timer and see what he was observing! Ptolemy Actually said, hey dudes there is five main points to Almagest 1. The celestial realm is spherical, and moves as a sphere
2. The Earth is a sphere
3. The Earth is at the center of the cosmos
4. The Earth, in relation to the distance of the fixed stars, has no appreciable size and must be treated as a mathematical point
5. The Earth does not move So then Ptolemy put his theory to test by model of a world map which now brings us into his Geography part of his knowledge! ptolemy assigned coordinates to all the places and geographic features he knew, in a grid that spanned the globe. But did you know that Ptolemy also did work in Astrology!! 1. Ptolemy's treatise on astrology, the Tetrabiblos, was the most popular astrological work of antiquity and also enjoyed great influence in the Islamic world and the medieval Latin West.
2. Ptolemy used a quadrant while pointing to the earth, to indicate the dependence of geography on astronomy.
3. Ptolemy saw astrology as something to be used in life but in no way relied on entirely Ptolemy was a Great man of science and has infulenced out world today because of him! :)
He influenced the world of music by writing the Harmonics on the mathematics of music Quick facts!
Ptolemy was named after:
1. The crater Ptolemaeus on the Moon
2. The crater Ptolemaeus on Mars
3. the asteroid 4001 Ptolemaeus THanks For Wathcing:)
The END But, Ptolemy was well aware that he knew about only a quarter of the globe with the model of the solar system in the Almagest, Ptolemy put all this information into a grand scheme which was called Geographia Ptolemy also devised and provided instructions on how to create maps both of the whole inhabited world