Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The 1593 Trial of Dr. Roderigo Lopez
Transcript of The 1593 Trial of Dr. Roderigo Lopez
Physician to Queen Elizabeth
Born 1525 in Crato, Portugal
Was a "Marrano"- a hidden Jew
Dr. Rodrigo Lopez (Lopes)
Rodrigo might have been the inspiration of the character Shylock in the play
The Merchant of Venice
Was accused of conspiring against the Queen and poisoning her with a few other Spanish men.
January 1st, 1594: he was arrested
February: Convicted of treason
June: Was hanged
Lopez made a home in London in 1559 and continued to practice medicine
In 1593 Lopez had a home in Holborn, London and was very wealthy
The Queen doubted Lopez because of his guilt
He was later executed by the Queen
Lopez's London Life
"Doctor Rodrigo Lopez." - CityComedy. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Jan. 2014.
"ExecutedToday.com." ExecutedToday.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Jan. 2014.
"The Merchant: Historicism." The Merchant of Venice: Historicism. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Jan. 2014.
"Rodrigo Lopez - Physician to Queen Elizabeth 1." Rodrigo Lopez - Physician to Queen Elizabeth 1. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Jan. 2014.
London in 1559