Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Judaism
Customs and Practices
like comment share
- Bronze Age (Abraham, Moses)
- Joshua, Conquest of Canaan (13th century BCE)
- Saul (11th century BCE, start of the monarchy)
- David and Solomon
- The First Temple and Ark of the Covenant
- 920 BCE, Kingdom fell apart, time of the prophets
- 586 BCE, Temple destroyed, leadership killed, Babylonian Diaspora
- Rabbinic Judaism vs Temple Judaism
- Hellenistic Judaism (4th to 2nd Century BCE)
- Roman rule
- 70 BCE Second Temple destroyed after the Great Revolt
- 175 BCE, revolt of the Maccabees
- Roman empire, Jesus
- Hebrews were one of many tribal peoples who eked out a life in the "not so" Fertile Crescent after Agricultural Revolution (Canaan). Bronze Age, 4,000 years ago.
- Originally worshiped many gods, animal sacrifices for good weather, fortune, etc.
- Eventually developed an idea of "monotheism"
- Personal god (could chat with him)
- Moral religiousness and social justice
- Yahweh (YHWH)
- Developed the idea of the "covenant"
- The Covenant
- keep God's law
- Chosen people
- Faith of family
- Sabbath Meal
- Faith of community
- Rosh Hashanah (New Year)
- Yon Kippur (Day of Atonement)
- Chanukah (Maccabees and the Syrian Greeks)
- Muslim rule in Jerusalem (relatively peaceful)
- The Crusades
- The Torah and Old Testament
- Abraham's story and his "deal" with God.
- Sarah, Issac and Jacob. Ishmael and Hagar
- Enslavement, Moses, burning bush and The Exodus. Joshua.
- The Israelite vs the Philistines, birth of a Kingdom
- (10 century BCE) David, Solomon...Jesus?
- Israel and the United States
- All over the World
- Historical Israel and Judah. Canaan, the Holy Land, the Promised Land
like comment share
- Segregation and special clothes (Does this sound familiar?)
- Expulsions in France, Spain and England
- Martin Luther, 1517
- Russia and the Pale
- Zionism: Balfour Declaration, 1948 state
- 700 HUNDRED Wives
- Beautiful palaces
- 1st Temple at Jerusalem
- The Holocaust
- “Sacrifice by fire”
"The Holocaust was the systematic, bureaucratic, state-sponsored persecution and murder of approximately six million people by the Nazi regime and its collaborators.”
- The ghettos, 1939
- Warsaw Ghetto – 400,000 people living in 1.3 square miles – 7 people per room, Disease and hunger
Gypsies, disabled, Slavic, communists, socialists
- Jewish population in 1933 was around 9 million
- “Euthanasia program” in 1939
Einsatzgruppe (mobile killing unit)