Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
1.2.1 EDEXCEL GCSE PE - DRUGS
Transcript of 1.2.1 EDEXCEL GCSE PE - DRUGS
Drugs in Sport
Reasons Why Performers Take Diuretics
Side Effects include:
Heart / kidney failure
To achieve a quick weight loss (due to loss of fluid from the body)
To mask or hide other performing enhancing substances the performer may have taken, making them harder to detect
Advantage in any activity with a weight category or where it is a benefit to be light
Drugs that are designed to treat various health issues that are associated with the heart such as High Blood Pressure
They work by BLOCKING the effects of adrenaline, so helping slow down the heart rate
To increase levels of aggression
To increase competitiveness
To reduce tiredness
To increase heart rate
and therefore oxygen delivery
To increase alertness (mental and physical)
so the performer is quicker to respond.
REASONS PERFORMERS TAKE STIMULANTS
heart rate irregularities
REASONS FOR TAKING NARCOTIC ANALGESICS
They give a sense of Euphoria
They give a sense of being invincible
they mask injuries so the performer can
continue to compete
They increase the performers pain threshold
ANY PERFORMER WITH AN INJURY WHO WISHES TO CARRY ON TRAINING AND PERFORMING COULD BE TEMPTED TO TAKE THIS CATEGORY OF DRUG
kidney / liver damage
further damage to injury due to masking of pain
REMEMBER NARCOTIC ANALGESICS ARE PAIN KILLERS
REASONS WHY ATHLETES TAKE ANABOLIC STEROIDS
To train harder and longer to increase POWER and STRENGTH
To speed up recovery time
To increase their chances of winning
Due to the pressure of others
To increase protein synthesis helping to develop lean muscle mass
who might use anabolic steroids?
anabolic steroids could provide an
advantage requiring POWER, like sprinting or weight lifting
Peptide hormones are found naturally in the human body
They increase muscle growth and increase the red blood cell count
Human growth hormone - HGH
Erythropoietin - EPO
Health Risks associated with HGH
abnormal growth in
feet and hands
AN ACTIVITY WHERE INCREASE IN OXYGEN DELIVERY WOULD BE HELPFUL
RUGBY, LONG DISTANCE RUNNERS OR CYCLISTS
• Oxygen is carried in red blood cells. The more red blood cells you have, the more oxygen reaches the muscles.
• athlete withdraws blood a few weeks before an important event. The red blood cells are separated and frozen.
• Then the body is allowed time to reproduced the blood cells. Just before the event they are thawed and injected back into the athlete.
• All blood transfusions and
injections carry a risk of infection.
• Top athletes already have a high
concentration of red cells.
Adding more may block their capillaries.