Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Traditional and Alternative Medicine Act of 1997
Transcript of Traditional and Alternative Medicine Act of 1997
After the discussion, the students are expected:
To have sufficient knowledge about the Traditional and Alternative Medicine Act of 1997;
Be acquainted with the advantages and disadvantages of using Traditional and Alternative medicines; and
To be informed about the Traditional and Alternative medicines.
Traditional and Alternative Medicine Act of 1997
Also known as Republic Act No. 8423
In recognition of the deep seated practice of traditional medicine as an alternative modality for treating and preventing diseases in the Philippines, the Department of Health (DOH) through its former Secretary Juan M. Flavier launched the Traditional Medicine Program in 1992.
This program aims to promote an effective and safe use of traditional medicine
President Fidel V. Ramos appreciated the importance of the traditional medicine program and signed into law Republic Act 8423, otherwise known as the Traditional and Alternative Medicine Act of 1997. This gave rise to the creation of Philippine Institute of Traditional and Alternative Health Care which is tasked to promote and advocates the use of traditional and alternative health care modalities through scientific research and product development.
HEALERS AND SPECIALISTS IN PHILIPPINE FOLK MEDICINE
"Albularyo" or what we call a witch doctor they usually call the spirit of the dead and tries to remove them form the face of the earth they also use herbal medicine as well example "gayuma"
He used to hold weekday clinic hours in a corner of the basement parking area in a market/mall in the San Pablo, Laguna area. His sign translates: Look for Tata Ino if you need a massage for a painful body condition. I also treat fractures, dog bites, diabetes, stones, arthritis, heart problems, and many others. I also sell herbal medicines. Clinic hours are from 9 AM to 4 PM. I can also do housecalls if you pick me up from this basement.
The mangluluop is a folk specialist who makes a diagnosis based on the resulting appearance of a burned concoction composed of freshwater shell or saltwater shell (kalanghuga), salt, a piece of palm leaves that were blessed by Catholic priests during Palm Sunday, and charcoal resulting from coconut shells, coconut midribs.
TRADITIONAL AND ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE ACT OF 1997
• To promote and advocate the use of traditional, alternative, preventive and curative health care modalities that have been proven safe, effective, cost effective and consistent with government standards on medical practice;
• To formulate standards, guidelines and codes of ethical practice appropriate for the practice of traditional and alternative health care;
• To formulate policies to strengthen the role of traditional and alternative health care delivery system;
THE PHILIPPINE INSTITUTE OF TRADITIONAL AND ALTERNATIVE HEALTH CARE
• To organize and develop continuing training programs for physicians in the field of traditional and alternative health care;
• To formulate policies that would create public awareness by focusing on the promotion of healthy living for preventing diseases, thereby uplifting the health care industry;
• To formulate a code of ethics and standards for the practice of traditional and alternative health care modalities.
Promotion of Traditional and Alternative Health Care
Traditional and Alternative Health Care Advocacy and Research Program
Standards for the manufacture, marketing and quality control of traditional medicine
Incentives for the manufacturers of traditional and alternative health care products
President Fidel V. Ramos approved this act on the 9th of december, year 1997.
True or False.
1. President Fidel V. Ramos approved the Republic Act No. 8324.
2. Republic Act No. 8423 is an act about the Traditional and Alternative Medicines.
3. Republic Act No. 8423 was approved on December 7, 1997.
4. Section 14 talks about the incentives for the manufacturers of traditional and alternative health care products.
5. Quack doctors can be considered as a trusted source of medicines.
6. There are 5 articles in the Traditional and Alternative Medicine Act of 1997.
7-10. Give 3 objectives of the R.A. 8423.