Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Success
Islam-- How well one follows the islamic rules
Christianity-- Using one's talents to give back to God
Judaism-- Overcoming difficulties; making your soul something that does credit to its Maker
Success in Biology
Success in Numbers
Biological and cultural evolution
ability to survive and reproduce successfully
environmental tolerance, diversity, impact, numbers, reproductive potential
Success in Art
Success: Variation in Other Cultures
South Korea: defined success as having a good family, working car, and a good income.
Spain: success defined as fame, power, and money
Czech Republic: Good health and happiness; money comes second
India: Finding contentment in your life - could be a blend of money, being a respected member in society, and power
Brazil: money, fame - reaching goals and dreams
Success in War
"History is written by the winners" -Winston Churchill
World War II death toll:
-Axis Powers: 8,268,000
-Allied Powers: 39,963,700
Soviet Union: 20,000,000
As defined in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, succes can either be, the fact of getting or achieving wealth, respect, or fame, the correct or desired result of an attempt, or someone or something that is successful-a person or thing that succeeds.
Some common synonyms are win, prosperity, fame, fortune, reward, fruition, attainment, and happiness.
It originated from the Latin word successus, a derivative of the word succedere, which means come close after.
Definition of Success varies depending on the priorities and structure of a society
Examples in History
"Most Successful Battle in History" -The History Place =
Battle of Yorktown (1781)
- Cornwallis sent to neutralize the south
- Went North to Yorktown, outnumbered Americans
-Guerrilla warfare used, with help of French,outnumbered 15000-6000
-very few deaths
- last major battle of revolution
Most "Successful" Artists (Some of)
-Giotto Di Bondone
-Leonardo Da Vinci
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
Examples in History
168.1 billion dollar total direct cost
= 168,000 per "enemy"
300-900 billion dollar final cost
(inc. interest,veteran benefits, etc
1,921,000 Vietnamese deaths
2,500,000 U.S. served
113,151 died during and after war
316,783 wounded or disabled
January 1973= peace treaty
Hostility and war continued
Pablo Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon
Leonardo de Vinci's Mona Lisa
Paul Cézanne's "The Card Players"
Sold 2011: 259 Million Dollars
Cycle of Art Success
Who say's what art is "successful?
Those who have degrees in art
How do you get a degree in art?
Study the history of art
What do you study about the history of art?
What art was successful
Present Day "Success"
- Success measured in monitary value
- Art (Paintings and Drawlings)
-Art (Music and Songs)
The 100 "Top Songs" in the US
= found from MONEY made,
With Art, Success= price piece sold for
"priceless" = ultimate success
1) Fernández, G. "101 Western Painters You Should Know." The 101 Most Important Painters of All Time. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2014. <http://www.theartwolf.com/articles/most-important-painters.htm>.
2) "Pablo Picasso's Les Demoiselles D'Avignon." Visual Arts. PBS, n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2014. <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/flashpoints/visualarts/picasso_a.html>.
3) The Editors of Encyclopedia Britaninnica. "Mona Lisa (painting by Leonardo Da Vinci)." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2014. <http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/388735/Mona-Lisa>.
4)"List of Most Expensive Paintings." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 02 Sept. 2014. Web. 10 Feb. 2014. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_paintings>.
5) "World War II Death Toll of All Nations." World War II Death Toll of All Nations. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2014. <http://warchronicle.com/numbers/WWII/deaths.htm>.
6) "World War II: The Eastern Front." The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, 18 Sept. 2011. Web. 10 Feb. 2014. <http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/09/world-war-ii-the-eastern-front/100150/>.
7) "Thread: The Most Dramatic Photos of World War II." WW2 in Color History Forum RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Feb. 2014. <http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php/5819-The-Most-Dramatic-Photos-of-World-War-II>.
Dutch, Polish, and Russian slave laborers at
Buchenwald concentration camp
8) Lanning, Michael Lee. "The History Place - Top Ten Battles of All Time." The History Place - Top Ten Battles of All Time. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2014. <http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/topten/>.
9) "Vietnam War History." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 10 Feb. 2014. <http://www.history.com/topics/vietnam-war/vietnam-war-history>.
10) "Global Q&A ‘How Do People Define 'success' in Your Culture?’." The Epoch Times » The Epoch Times Is an Independent Voice in Print and on the Web. We Report News Responsibly and Truthfully so That Readers Can Improve Their Own Lives and Increase Their Understanding and Respect for Their Neighbors next Door and around the Globe. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Feb. 2014. <http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/world/define-success-culture-global-q-and-a-26837.html>.
United States: based on Capitalism
India: Hinduism is made religion - goal of reaching freedom - results in immortality - money is not the goal