Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Investigating beneficiaries
Core question of investigative reporting: For whose benefit?
Beneficiaries = those,
in most cases those are difficult to find
in most cases those are difficult to prove
circumstantial evidence is not enough
Whoever physically holds a certificate of shares is considered the owner of the shares. Bearer shares provide one of the deepest levels of secrecy. Many countries have banned bearer shares because they are considered a facilitator of tax evasion and money laundering.
in Czech Republic till 2014
anonymity level Nauru and Marshall Islands
A person who is listed as a shareholder on a company’s documents but has no real power over the company or claim to its assets. This is common practice in offshore financial structures to hide the identity of the real owner.
Sergei Magnitski case