Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of III Network
Determining Desired Carriers
What is the Network?
Focus on Nationwide - but clients will turn down NW quote or renewal – broker for price & keep client in agency
Network Program 2013
Hosts - Kevin Lepionka & Amy Penn
Call-In 866-842-6843, code 111979
When/How can I start?
Why have a Network Program?
Available Carriers? Expectations?
Commissions? Ownership of book?
What if I don't re-qualify?
Next steps-quiz questions
- “Network” of selective/specific carriers – top rated, preferred, well-known companies
- Benefit of both IA & exclusive agent
- Selective agents only – must qualify
- Write with carrier when Nationwide price is unacceptable to client
- Direct access to carriers – website, training, underwriter, sales reps
- Minimal sales commitments with carriers
Who is Eligible? 2013 Criteria
- Nationwide determines – III manages
- Choice Plus = > $4 million DWP
- Choice = $2.5 to $4 million DWP; Grow @ 1.5 times state growth (or grow > $1 if state growth is negative)
- Network new auto DWP to Nationwide new auto DWP must be less than 25%
- Broker for price – GREAT!!!
- Write when eligible for NW – WOW!!!
- Keep client - increase agency close ratio
- Use for prospective new clients or for unhappy existing Nationwide policyholders
- Earn $ income to agency
- Move to Nationwide later when price better
- Help after IA acquisitions
Network Strategic Role
- Keep more clients within agency (but with a non-Nationwide carrier)
- Complete account with policy from non-Nationwide carrier
- Improve retention for Nationwide PIF
- Increase agency commission income
- Build prospective client list for Nationwide
Network Program History
- 2002 - $5 million DWP
- 2012 - $265 MILLION!!!
Network Program History
- More agents realizing benefits of offering Network carriers when Nationwide price, coverage, or other product features do not fit client’s needs or desires
- Why let a client leave your agency due to uncompetitive rates – quote or renewal?
Network Myths - NOT True
- Myth – competes with Nationwide
- Myth – only for Choice “Plus”
- Myth – used only for ineligible NW risks or non-standard risks
- Myth – bad risks can be written
- Myth – carriers automatic/guaranteed
– NOT TRUE!
- NOT TRUE!
– NOT TRUE!
- Myth – no sales expectations
– NOT TRUE!
Network Facts - TRUE Info
Fact - use for better price, coverage, pay plan, unhappy w/ Nationwide, agent-of-record
Fact - for when client declines NW
Fact - carrier determines who to appoint
Fact – carriers want quality business
Fact - carrier can cancel agent appointment due to poor underwriting or low sales activity
How to Best Use the Network?
Agency Philosophy Change!!!
Before Network – broker ONLY when ineligible with Nationwide
With Network – broker when eligible for Nationwide; broker when client declines NW quote/renewal due to price
Change your agency strategy, process, & selling routines to pivot to Network
Change - Think more like independent agent
Develop your own agency strategies & processes to fully use Network
May initially struggle working with new carriers – need to learn about them
Improve agency close ratio – more clients, more income
Sample Agency Workflow
Quote client with Nationwide
Client declines quote for price
Refer to your Network “team”
Quote 1 or several Network carriers
Keys to Success:
- Commit to carrier training
- Learn carrier product – website, underwriting rules, selling features, coverages, pay plans, etc.
- Consistent usage by agency
- You cannot advertise any carrier except Nationwide – no brochures, signage, ads, plaques, name or logo usage, etc.
- You must comply with carrier rules
- III owns your Network business - III pays Extended Earnings
- Carrier info is confidential – not share with Nationwide
- Consistent quoting – 10+/mo.
- Minimal sales – 1+ apps/mo. – use or lose
- Quality business – eligible for Nationwide
- NO monoline home for multi-line carriers
- Write within their target, appetite, rules
- Learn their product thoroughly
- Must meet carrier expectations
- Safeco, Travelers, MetLife, Hartford stories
WHO ARE THE NETWORK CARRIERS?
- Not automatic/guaranteed appointments
- “Network Carrier Availability Grid” (carrier list) posted on III website
- Multi-Line, Preferred Risk Auto/Home
“1” to start
then you earn others later
many carriers available...
- limited; not appointed - call III for quote
- Do your research - Review lost quotes/renewals
- Talk to other agents
- Determine who you’re losing business to
- All have closing % similar to Nationwide
- Initially only “1” multi-line, preferred risk carrier to start – learn product – meet expectations
- No limit # of non-standard/standard appts.
- Separate appointment process for each carrier
Carrier Appt. Process Summary
- Not automatic appointment – each carrier has separate process/forms
- Carriers have discretion as to who to appoint – not guaranteed! (agt. saturation, not grow there)
- Each carrier has separate paperwork
- Takes up to 4 weeks to appoint
- Most won’t do non-resident states initially
- Carriers may cancel appt. w/o sales
- List all staff members who will be quoting
Carriers Product/Website Training
AFTER appointed, carrier trains you by:
- Individual Phone Calls or Teleconferences
- WebEx, Webinar, or Centra sessions
- Personal visits by marketing rep
Keep carrier support info: names & phone numbers for reps/underwriters, sales info, underwriting rules, cheat sheets, job aids, helpdesk, etc.
Rules/guidelines posted on their website
- Remain agent for policies written
- Continue to earn commissions
- Can service existing business (adds, spins, etc.) indefinitely
- Cannot write any new clients
- May re-qualify the following year
- Varies by carrier, state, product – no one rate for all agents
- Paid in Insurance Intermediaries commission statement
- Eligible for extended earnings @ 75% paid renewals
- Results don’t count towards Nationwide goals
Keys to success:
- Develop agency processes/selling routines
- LEARN product, features, rules, website
- Consistent usage
- Think like IA – each carrier important
- Tale of 2 Agents
Get new, retain existing, win-back prior clients!
BUZZ From Agents
Helps me keep good, long-term clients
Allows me to hire more staff or open another location – from Network income
Can market/advertise even when my NW rate is not competitive
Gives clients a choice
Can shop the rate for clients
Why lose a client to agent down the street?
How can I Learn More?
III Website @
Click “III Network” tab (bottom right)
- Carrier Availability Grid (available carriers)
- Network Carrier Appointments (appt. paperwork)
- Key Provisions (guidelines)
- FAQs (common questions)
- Downloads (from Applied)
1.) Will send quiz questions to you today – include these notes, docs, & links (sent from email address “III Network IIIACP”)
2.) Reply to
– answer quiz correctly & express enrollment interest;
3.) III sends back email for next steps - you complete other documents (pre-appointment request form)
AFTER Successful Enrollment
- AFTER III receives required documents (pre-appointment request form), then…..
- III will call you to discuss available carriers & market need and send link about required paperwork for desired Network carriers
Comparative Rater - “EZLynx”
- Get multiple quotes with 1 input – highly efficient
- Greatly save times from inputting same data over & over again
- Agent must purchase access
- Don’t recommend initially since only 1 or 2 appointments to start
- Required once you have 3+ carriers
III – email you quiz questions
You (primary) – correctly answer quiz & email
III – emails you for next steps
You – complete next steps (pre-appointment request form) …
You – complete appointment paperwork
Carrier – appoints & trains you
- Respond back to our enrollment emails
- Assign a staff member to complete papers
- Read FAQs & Key Provisions docs
- Get Progressive appointment 1st
- Carefully pick your “1” preferred carrier – do research – talk to other agents
- Make sure your staff has learned carrier product, target market, using consistently
- Can broker for price – HUGE!
- Use when client turns down Nationwide - eligible
- Move to Nationwide later when price is better
- Appointments not guaranteed
- Carriers expect sales activity & quality
- Nationwide decides qualifying criteria
Did I Answer Your Questions?
- What is the Network? Who is eligible?
- What are the benefits/advantages?
- When/How can I start? Learn more?
- Why have a Network program?
- Available Carriers? Their Expectations?
- Commissions? Ownership of Book?
- What if I do not re-qualify?
Q & A
- Will send to attendees
- Respond to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only primary agent replies via email
- Include “correct” quiz answers
- Express interest in enrolling in Network
- Only 1 response per agency – primary agent only - staff members not reply
Key Network Contacts @ III
877-444-4094; attn: “Agency Services”
Agency Services Email:
Receipt of appointment paperwork
Network Team x23954