Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of business letter
As you all know, since human has been on earth, communication is one of the significant activity of human being.
So what if these people want to communicate from a distance, and the internet was not come out yet? A letter! It is.
What is a business letter?
Kind of letter which more formal than the normal letter, used to for business. Use former words and sentences. Show respect.
Heading (The return address) or Letterhead
* Designing at the top of the sheet
* Containing all necessary information about the organization's
* About two - three lines
@ This is included in the heading part
@ More detailed information about the writer: name, department, position
* Date of writing.
* month should be fully spelled out and the year written with all four dig
* November 15, 2013 (month-day-year) - American style. Two blank lines below the heading
* 15 November 2013 (day-month-year) - UK style. Usually placed directly or 1 blank line below the heading.
* The date is aligned with the return address.
* Reference No. : add phone number, fax number, e-mail address, and company website......
* Make receiver easier to reply or contact to the sender quickly if have any problems
The Inside Address
The address of the recipient
After the Date part.
Include the recipient's name, company, address and postal code. (Add job title if appropriate.) Double check that you have the correct spelling of the recipient 's name.
The Inside Address is always on the left margin. If an 8 1/2" x 11" paper is folded in thirds to fit in a standard 9" business envelope, the inside address can appear through the window in the envelope.
The Greeting or The Salutation
The type depends on relationship with the recipient.
Normally begins with "Dear" and always includes the person's last name.
Use every resource possible to address your letter to an actual person.
If no the name or the sex of of your receiver, address it to Dear Madam/Sir (or Dear Sales Manager or Dear Human Resources Director).
Ends in a colon ":" (US style). It is also acceptable to use a comma "," (UK style).
The Subject Line (optional)
Help the recipient in dealing successfully with the aims of your letter. Normally the subject sentence is preceded with the word "Subject:" or "Re:"
Subject line may be emphasized by underlining, using bold font, or all capital letters.
Usually placed one line below the greeting but alternatively can be located directly after the "inside address," before the "greeting."
The Body Paragraphs
> The body is where you explain why you’re writing.
> It’s the main part of the business letter.
> Make sure the receiver knows who you are and why you are writing
> Try to avoid starting with "I".
> Use a new paragraph when you wish to introduce a new idea or element into your letter.
> Depending on the letter style you choose, paragraphs may be indented.
> Regardless of format, skip a line between paragraphs.
The Complimentary Close
This short, polite closing ends always with a comma.
It is either at the left margin or its left edge is in the center, up on the Style.
Begins at the same column the heading does.
Starting "Dear Sir or Madam" must end "Yours faithfully", Starting "Dear " must end "Yours sincerely". (The traditional rule of etiquette in Britain)
(Note: the second word of the closing is NOT capitalized)
American Style British Style
Sincerely yours, Yours sincerely,
Yours truly, Yours faithfully,
Signature and Writer’s identification
* The signature is the last part of the letter.
* Should sign down first and last names.
* The signature line may include a second line for a title, if appropriate.
* The signature should start directly above the first letter of the signature line in the space between the close and the signature line. Use blue or black ink (no red one)
Initials, Enclosures, Copies
* Initials are to be included if someone other than the writer types the letter. (secretary or assistant)
* If you include other material in the letter, put 'Enclosure', 'Enc.', or ' Encs. ', as appropriate, two lines below the last entry. cc means a copy or copies are sent to someone else.
Full-Block Format Letter
This format is similar to the Block style except the Company Logo or writer's address is centered aligned either.
* 6-10 spaces between writer's address and date
* 2-4 spaces between date and receiver's address
* 4 spaces between receiver's address and salutation.
* 4 spaces after complimentary close.en
Another wide utilized format.
all text is aligned to the left margin,
single spaced. Excepted......
The writer's address, date
and closing begin at the center point.
paragraphs are not indented.
> It is much like the modified block style except that each paragraph is indented
> paragraphs are separated by double or triple spacing.
> somewhat so more complicated than other popular styles of business letter writing.
> The format of Indented Style is so similar to Semi-Block style.
> except on the first line at the beginning of each paragraph starts with a few spaces from the left side, the distance is usually 1 cm spacing
one special thing is, the inside address, each line begins about 1.5 centimeters to the right of the left margin of the previous line.
Simplified Style Format
Another modification of the Full Blocked style.
This style is used when writing a letter without know the name and title of the person to whom you are writing the letter.
so it's missing any greeting and closing greeting.
Sometimes the writing is very simple without regard neatness and regularity.
Hanging Style is looking like it is hang on or leaning more to the left.
The position of letter head, date, complementary close and signature are in the Middle letters. The other part on letters such as the inside address, salutation, body, subject of letter are in the position of left-align. at the beginning of the paragraph
Paragraphs hanging is not spaced and not indented
make sure people understand you.
To get them to take some action. Let the readers know:
what you say what you want
then they get some actions to reply you.
Remember that you want your readers to understand you and take action. Anything that does not help them do that is unnecessary.
Avoid repeating anything, other than for specific emphasis. Remove needless words from every sentence, needless sentences from every paragraph, and needless paragraphs entirely.
Write Actively, Interesting Sentences, Use a Positive Tone
Use negatives such as "don't," "won't," and "not" only to deny, not to evade or be indecisive. Instead of "We can't decide until tomorrow," write "We should decide tomorrow," or, better yet, "We will decide tomorrow."
Be Correct and clear
Business letter is not a poem, a mystery story, or a morality play. It should not have subtle allegorical overtones requiring careful study, or different shades of meaning. In short, it should not be open to interpretation.
Be correct in spelling, punctuation, grammar, and formatting
Abbreviations are allowed to be used in letters:
= as soon as possible
= carbon copy (send a copy of a letter to more than one person)
= enclosure (include other papers with letter)
= per procurationem (A Latin phrase meaning that you are signing the letter on somebody else's behalf)
tips for Do's
Definition of business letter.
Format of a business letter.
Styles of a business letter.
Tips Do's and Dont's for writing.
+ to request direct information or action from another party.
+ to order supplies from a supplier.
+ to identify a mistake that was committed.
+ to reply directly to a request.
+ to apologize for a wrong or to convey goodwill.
1. Request information or action.
2. Order Supplies.
3. Identify mistake.
4. Answer request.
Business letter is....
+ Company to others.
+ Correspondence between organization and the customer.
+ Clients to external partie
Formating your letter corectedly folowing the style that you start with.
make sure you check it carefully before sending
* Do not use
language in your letter.
* Do not write long introductions and unnecessary statement.
* Do not forget your purpose then go far away from it
* Don’t use a personal style – business letters are impersonal and formal. make your letter as professional as possible,
* Don't misspell words or make grammatical errors
DON’T write a Message in capital letters—this is the equivalent of SHOUTING.
Don’t use a font size greater than 12 and smaller than 10
DON'T use abbreviation
've= have arn't= are not
's= has haven't= have not
Don't be too blunt and forceful in your tone.
Don't employ too much flattery.
Small game= Small gifts
-->> how many style do we have?
each line begins about 1.5 centimeters to the right of the left margin of the previous line in the inside address
what is the specific of indented format