Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Catacombs and carnival
Transcript of Catacombs and carnival
Hundreds of years ago, wealthy Italians buried their dead in vaults beneath their grand houses called
These underground vaults, also called
were cool and dark. Great for storing the bones of your ancestors.
These cool, damp tunnels were also great places to store their wine
. Unfortunately, the walls grew a white, unhealthy substance called
The wine was stored in barrels, or
, which held 72-100 gallons, or in
that held 126 gallons.
, or experts, of the fine
would collect wines like
The story takes place in the catacombs during Carnival (also known as Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday), the day before Ash Wednesday.
A man might dress up as a jester and wear
. On his head might be a
It is a time when people wear masks and have fun because during Lent they must fast and do penance for their sins.