Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Sleep
As humans, we have different cycles that are important for different biological functions.
seasonal variations (bears hibernation, geese migrate, seasonal affective disorder)
28 day cycles:
24 hour cycle:
90 minute cycle:
There are 5 identified stages of sleep.
It takes about 90-100 minutes to pass through the 5 stages.
The brain’s waves will change according to the sleep stage you are in.
The first four stages are known as NREM sleep..
The fifth stage is called REM sleep.
are created within us, although they can be modulated by external cues such as sunlight and temperature.
Body temperature & awareness
changes throughout the day.
-It is best to take a test or study during your
-Bright lights help reset our biological clocks
Sunday night insomnia
- staying up late Friday & Saturday and not being able to sleep on Sunday night.
Why do we sleep?
Ecological Niche: back in the day, darkness meant death, those that slept did not go out, thus did not die. Sleep protects us.
Sleep helps us recuperate and restores the breakdown of our body.
During Sleep, our brain is active repairing the and reorganizing itself and consolidating memories. Sleep is food for the brain.
1. Read about the sleep stages.
2. Fill in the graphic organizer about the sleep stages.
Table of Contents
Page 36: Sleep
Page 37: Sleep Stages Table
Page 38: Dreams
Interpretation of Dreams Reading
1. Find a partner.
2. Read Part I together.
3. Answer Part I questions.
Repeat for Part II and Part III.
Manifest v. Latent Content
-The storyline of our dreams
-Often traces the previous day's experiences
-Unconscious motives and drives
-"meaning" of our dreams
Why do we dream? Three main theories.
●Dreams are the
● Ideas and
thoughts that are
hidden in our
● Manifest and
●Dreams act to sort
memories that you
● REM sleep does
●During the night
dreams may be a
way to make sense
of that activity
Table should look like...
Apply this to your own dreams!
1. Create a fold-able.
2. Using the fold-able, analyze your dreams with TWO of the theories theories.
3. See board for details.
4. Please keep the dreams PG-13!