Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of The Tragedy of San Juanico, PEMEX Mexico City, 19 Nov 84
Transcript of Copy of The Tragedy of San Juanico, PEMEX Mexico City, 19 Nov 84
Point of failure..
AIN SYAWALINOR SHAFINA RABUAN
SITI FARAH AMIRAH AHMED
Poor maintainance - water spray system were inadequate
Lack of infrastructure - Gas detection system is not installed
No emergency plan
Health & System Comittee's review was ignored
SUGEESTION & LESSON LEARN
2 explosions with intensity of 0.5 scalar richter
Unburned & burning gas set fire to everything
Destroy houses & shifted several cylindrical tanks
Rupture in the 8 inch diameter feeding pipeline.
-strong wind causes a ground level flare was set to burn
Plant layout - positioning of vessel ( distance too short)
Death & Injury
- 300 at site
- 250 in hospital
- At plant, 5 worker killed, 2 suffered burn
Area of 100 km2 was severely damaged
550 people died
About 7000 people need medical check up
Safety committee warnings
Old plant, too congested
Emergency plan required
Village should 1500 m away from plant site
Install more effective gas detection & emergency isolation system.
No pressure control/relief at thermal pipe end
* Disaster occured at the PEMEX owned liquid petroleum storage and distribution center
* Gas cloud formation due to pipe rupture
SEQUENCE OF EVENTS
Prior to the Disaster
* two large sperical tanks and all 48 cylindrical tanks full
* 4 small sperical tanks being filled
- 5.10am pressure drop in pipe line caused by a leakage
* vapor cloud and smell
* 5.35-5.40am vapor cloud ignited by flare pit
* PUVCE and extensive fire
* 9 total explosions detected by seismograph at UMex
* 5.45am first BLEVE
* 5.46am first major BLEVE
*6.54am second major BLEVE
* 11.00am last registered explosion
* Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion
* flammable liquids under pressure
* two simultaneous events
- rupture ot torn tank
- temperature greater than boiling point
* shock wave
- 75-100m knock people down
-break windows several km away
* tank become a projectile
* produce fireball of very high temperature
- 1500 C
What is PEMEX ?
( Mexican Petroleum )
* Mexican state-owned petroleum company, created in 1938 .
* Products : Fuel, natural gas and other petrochemicals
* Consists of
LPG storage tanks ,
large spherical tanks and
smaller horizontal bullet shaped tanks of various sizes.
San Juanico , Mexico
* The town surrounded the facility and consisted of 40,000 residents, with an additional 60,000 more living in the hills.
* 5.45am -phone call to fire station
* 10 min -first fire fighting unit arrived
*15 min -police close roads
*25 min -ambulances and fire brigade team from Mexico City arrived
* Secretary for National Defense : Disaster DN-111-E plan
* all water was brought bt truck
* 11.00am -village fire extinguished
3.30pm -PEMEX fire under control
8.00pm -fire is extinguished
THANK YOU :)