Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Expanding Universe Lab
Transcript of Expanding Universe Lab
1. Place an un-inflated balloon on the table. The balloon represents the universe. Use a marker to make small, filled in circles on the balloon. The circles represent the galaxies.
As the balloon expands, the distance between the dots or "galaxies" become greater.
Compare and contrast your experimental procedures with the Big Bang Theory.
Suggest a way that a scientist could create an even more accurate model of the Big Bang Theory.
Objective: To interpret a model demonstrating the theories of our expanding universe.
I think that as the balloon expands, the dots(galaxies) will spread apart and become more distant.
One un-inflated balloon
About 30cm of string or yarn
Ruler or tape measure
2. Pick four of the circles around the balloon and label these A, B, C, and D.
3. Hypothesize what will happen to the distances between the labeled circles when you blow up the balloon 1/4 full, 1/2 full, and 3/4 full.
4. Measure the starting distances, in inches or centimeters, between each of the labeled galaxies.
5. Blow up the balloon about 1/4 of the way. Use a string to temporarily tie the balloon. Repeat the measurements between galaxies.
6. Untie the string. Repeat the same procedures by blowing up the balloon to 1/2, and 3/4 of its full size.
-The Big Bang Theory states that material expands over time and that was shown as the balloon got bigger.
How does your balloon represent the Big Bang Theory?
-The balloon represents the universe and the dots are the galaxies. As the balloon expands, the distance between the dots or "galaxies" become farther apart.
-Instead of using a balloon, a scientist could make a model showing where everything is and show the universe growing instead of expanding everything.
What will happen to the gravitational force between galaxies as the universe continues to expand?
-The gravitational force will become lesser.