Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Effectiveness of Sansevieria trifasciata (Snake Plant) F
Transcript of The Effectiveness of Sansevieria trifasciata (Snake Plant) F
(Snake Plant) Fiber as
Raw Material in making Eco-bags
Nowadays, people and government are become more concern of our environment. Global warming which leads to changes in climate causes to reduce agricultural yields and increases the intensity of extreme weather events such as flooding and landslides. At an individual level, people can contribute to prevent these disasters by minimizing and wise usage of plastics.
II. Background of the Study
The group conducts a study to make a less expensive and a new alternative way in making eco paper bags. The group thought a way on how they can use the snake plant in order to make an alternative paper sheets.
III. Related Literature
(2013) stated that eco-friendly bags are a great alternative to disposable plastic bags. Each year billions of plastic bags end up as ugly litter. Eco friendly bags rarely end up as litter. Plastic bags eventually break down into tiny toxic bit polluting our soil, river, lakes, and oceans. Eco Friendly bags are not only reusable, but eco-friendly bags are made from recycled materials.
IV. Statement of the Problem
The research study was conducted to examine the potential of Snake Plant as an alternative source of fiber in making paper for the commercial branded one.
As an action, some cities and municipalities of Laguna implemented new law that forbidden the use of plastics in their places. Together with this act, paper bags and eco bags will now replace plastic bags in different establishments like supermarket /groceries and fast-food restaurants.
Eco friendly bags, an environmentally-friendly reusable bag made from cloth or recycled plastic, are a great alternative to disposable plastic bags. Each year billions of plastic bags end up as ugly litter. Eco friendly bags rarely end up as litter. Plastic bags eventually break down into tiny toxic bit polluting our soil, river, lakes, and oceans. Eco Friendly bags are not only reusable, but bags which are made from biodegradable/recycled materials.
Because of the increasing demand of eco bags, the group decided to search for a new alternative way of producing eco paper bags using Sansevieria trifasciata (Snake Plant or mother-in-law's tongue) by extracting its fiber.
Snake plant paper is made from fibers extracted from snake plant. The long sinuous fibers are formed into a paper that is highly distinctive. This type of paper refers to as “eco paper” because the paper uses fibers that go into the waste system and also this paper is extremely textured and makes an interesting addition to stamping and scrap booking projects. As of now, Snake Plant paper is not yet available in the market.
According to wikipedia.org (2012), Sansevieria trifasciata, also called snake plant or mother-in-law's tongue, is a species of flowering plant in the family Asparagaceae, native to tropical West Africa from Nigeria east to the Congo.
According to M. Kanimozhi (2011), Worldwide there are more than 12 Sansevieria species present in different continents. The common species are S. cylindrical and S. trifasciata.(...)S.trifisciata fibers shows that fiber has good strength, fineness with low elongation.
Herald-Tribune Magazine said that Sansevieria fiber has long been used by natives in the tropics and subtropics for ropes and twines.
1. To make eco paper bags out of Snake Plant
2. To make a less expensive eco paper bags
1. To extract fibers from Snake Plant
2. To make different sizes of Snake Plant paper
1. The amount of Snake plant used can affect the number of Snake Plant paper produced.
2. The time of boiling the Snake Plant leaves has an effect to the quality of Snake Plant paper.
3. The amount of water and corn starch used in boiling the Snake Plant leaves can affect the time to dry the Snake Plant paper produced.
4. The time of blending the boiled Snake Plant leaves has an effect to the surface texture of the Snake Plant paper.
• 1kg Snake Plant leaves
• 1 cup of Corn Starch
• Silk Screen
• 3L of water
1. Chop up the Snake Plant leaves into several thin and fine pieces less than one inch long.
2. Place the Snake Plant leaves in a large casserole.
3. Fill the casserole with 3L of water and 1 cup of corn starch so that the chopped leaves float and then boil it in a casserole on the stove.
4. Stir the chopped leaves constantly for two hours.
5. Remove the casserole from the stove and use the blender to whip the boiled leaves into fine slurry.
6. Take the casserole full of leaves and a silkscreen or fine mesh screen outdoors. Ladle the leaves slurry onto the screen, spreading the slurry lightly and consistently using spatula, the Snake Plant paper will be dry.
IX. Data and Results
Table 1. The amount of Snake Plant leaves used to produced snake plant paper
Table 2. The time of boiling the Snake Plant leaves
Table 3. The amount of water used in boiling the Snake Plant leaves
Table 4. The time of blending of the boiled Snake Plant leaves.
The table shows that the greater the amount of Snake Plant leaves used, more Snake plant paper produced.
The table shows that the greater the time of boiling the Snake Plant leaves, the finer the Snake Plant paper is.
The table shows that the greater the amount of water used in boiling the Snake plant levaes takes long time to dry the Snake Plant paper.
The table shows that the longer the time of crushing the Snake Plant leaves, the smoother it is.
We found out that:
1. The greater the amount of Snake Plant leaves used, more Snake Plant paper produced.
2. The greater the time of boiling the Snake Plant leaves, the finer the Snake plant paper is.
3. The greater the amount of water used in boiling the Snake Plant leaves takes long time to dry the Snake Plant paper.
4. The greater the time of blending the Snake Plant leaves, the smoother it is.
5. The greater the amount of corn starch, the paper becomes crispier.
Production of Snake Plant paper from leaves yielded positive results. To further improve the study, the group also recommend the following:
1. Slice the Snake Plant leaves into tinier pieces so that it easy to be crushed in the blender.
2. Rinse it directly under the sun or above the roof so that it will not consume much time to dry the paper.
3. Use bleach for a white kind of paper.