Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
COMM107 Persuasive Speech
Transcript of COMM107 Persuasive Speech
DO cause violence References
Behavior. (2012). Retrieved April 29, 2013, from ChildStats website: http://childstats.gov
Department of Justice, Criminal Victimization in the United States, 2008 Statistical Tables, Doc. No. ICPSR 25461 (2008).
FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation. (2000). The school shooter: A threat assessment perspective (M. E. O'Toole, PhD, Author). National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime ( NCAVC).
Funk, J. B. (2006). Exposure to violent video games and desensitization to violence in children and adolescents. Department of Psychology Journal.
Itzkoff, D. (2013, February 19). Scholar finds flaws in work by archenemy of comics. The New York Times.
Monahan, M., & Laskey et al, C. (2003). Criminal victimization in the united states, 2002 statistical tables. US Department of Justice.
Vitelli PhD, R. (2013, April 1). Can video games cause violence? Retrieved from Psychology Today website: http://www.psychologytoday.com/ Violent video games
DO NOT cause violence - 60% of middle school boys that play at least 1
M- Rated Game hit or beat someone up
- 39% of boys that did not play M-rated games hit
or beat someone up - The number of all personal Crimes ( which
include crimes of violence) fell from 4,525,090 to
- Youth crime is at a 40 year low, while video game popularity soars
- A Secret Service review of school-based attacks revealed that only 1/8 of attackers exhibited an interest in violent video games Do Video Games Cause Violence? Yes NO Background -Controversy led to establishment of ESRB in 1994 -FBI study concludes that violent video games are
associated with school shootings - Violent video games cause development
of aggresive behavioral scripts But Wait.. -Dr. Fredric Wertham MISREPRESENTED his research and FALSIFIED results
- The American Academy of Pediatrics states: " playing violent video games has been found to account for a 13% to 22% increase in adolescents' violent behavior; by comparison, smoking tobacco accounts for 14% of the increase in lung cancer" - Video game violence has been a hotly debated topic
- early as 1950s
- Fredric Wertham
- C. Everett Koop Questions?