Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Are Asian Student Suicides Largely Caused by the Emphasis put on Student Performance? - Daria Lowman
Transcript of Are Asian Student Suicides Largely Caused by the Emphasis put on Student Performance? - Daria Lowman
US Centre 138, Candidate Number 0601 Based off Document 1
'Why Chinese Mothers are Superior' Perspective A
Asian Student Suicides are not largely caused by the Emphasis put on Student Performance. Perspective B
Asian Student Suicides are largely caused
by the Emphasis put on Student Performance.
Source 1: Suicide in Korea Series: VI. Case Studies -- KAIST and Ssangyong Motors (Korean)
Argument: Korean student suicides are caused by the modernization of the country.
Rational 1: Modernization commodifies a person.
Rational 2: Modernization makes the standards of education rise. Source 2: Forget What You Think About Asian Youth
Argument: Asian student suicides are not the product of emphasis put on education.
Rational: The impact of the emphasis on education had been sensationalized by the media. Source 3: Suicide and the Stress from School
Argument: Asian student suicides caused by the emphasis put on student performance are grossly overstated by anti-testing advocates in the West.
Rational: The statistics given by the anti-testing advocates are not correct because the studies done do not correctly portray the actual number of student suicides. Summation of Perspective A Strengths
* Acknowledges that the emphasis put on students causes negative effects such as stress and anxiety and can lead to suicide
* Brings up valid points about how statistics on student suicides may not be very accurate.
* Besides the first article, none of the other articles address what another cause of student suicides may be
*Many unsupported statistics are presented Source 1: SOUTH KOREA: Student Stress Fuels Suicides as Standards Rise
Argument: South Korea's higher education system is too tough and is causing student suicides.
Rational 1: Globalization
Rational 2: Korean Family Values Source 2: Young Asian American Women: Under Double Pressure
Argument: Young Asian American Women are likely to commit suicide because of the pressure put on their education
Rational 1: Academic Expectations
Rational 2: Gender Expectations Source 3: The Model Minority: Asian-American Youth and the Harmful Perpetuation of a Cultural Myth
Argument: The model minority stereotype put on Asians is responsible for student suicides.
Rational 1: Asian students feel pressured from the racialized expectations of society
Rational 2: Cultural expectations are heightened by model minority expectations Summation of Perspective B Strengths
* Breaks up the branches of education in Asian culture for women
* The idea of the model minority
* Does not acknowledge the other perspective
* The articles seem to have an overall generic Western view of the subject Conclusion I do not believe that the emphasis put on student performance is the main cause of Asian student suicides. After looking over the documents and assessing their content I find that the cause which is largely responsible for Asian student suicides is the emphasis put on success from family and cultural values. Bibliography A1.) Suicide in Korea Series: VI. Case Studies -- KAIST and Ssangyong Motors (http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2013/03/suicide-in-korea-series-vi-case-studies.html)
A2.) Forget What You Think You Know About Asian Youth (http://www.s-r-a.org/announcements/blog/2013-01-17-forget-what-you-think-you-know-about-asian-youth)
A3.) Suicide and the Stress from School (http://boston.com/community/blogs/rock_the_schoolhouse/2013/03/suicide_and_the_stress_from_sc.html)
B1.) SOUTH KOREA: Student stress fuels suicides as standards rise (http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20110625121600802) Bibliography B2.) Young Asian American Women: Under Double Pressure (http://hardboiled.berkeley.edu/archived-issues/year-14/issue-14-4/young-asian-american-women-under-double-pressure/)
B3.) The Model Minority: Asian-American Youth and the Harmful Perpetuation of a Cultural Myth (http://www.studentpulse.com/articles/571/2/the-model-minority-asian-american-youth-and-the-harmful-perpetuation-of-a-cultural-myth)
* Document 1 from Resource Booklet, 'Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior' Family/Cultural Values Success Emphasis on student performance Globalization Modernization Model
Minority A part of Affects Affects One method Outside Entity Oustide Entity