Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Are Asian Student Suicides Largely Caused by the Emphasis put on Student Performance? - Daria Lowman
Transcript of Are Asian Student Suicides Largely Caused by the Emphasis put on Student Performance? - Daria Lowman
US Centre 138, Candidate Number 0601 Based off Document 1
'Why Chinese Mothers are Superior' Perspective A
Asian Student Suicides are not largely caused by the Emphasis put on Student Performance. Perspective B
Asian Student Suicides are largely caused
by the Emphasis put on Student Performance.
Source 1: Suicide in Korea Series: VI. Case Studies -- KAIST and Ssangyong Motors (Korean)
Argument: Korean student suicides are caused by the modernization of the country.
Rational 1: Modernization commodifies a person.
Rational 2: Modernization makes the standards of education rise. Source 2: Forget What You Think About Asian Youth
Argument: Asian student suicides are not the product of emphasis put on education.
Rational: The impact of the emphasis on education had been sensationalized by the media. Source 3: Suicide and the Stress from School
Argument: Asian student suicides caused by the emphasis put on student performance are grossly overstated by anti-testing advocates in the West.
Rational: The statistics given by the anti-testing advocates are not correct because the studies done do not correctly portray the actual number of student suicides. Summation of Perspective A Strengths
* Acknowledges that the emphasis put on students causes negative effects such as stress and anxiety and can lead to suicide
* Brings up valid points about how statistics on student suicides may not be very accurate.
* Besides the first article, none of the other articles address what another cause of student suicides may be
*Many unsupported statistics are presented Source 1: SOUTH KOREA: Student Stress Fuels Suicides as Standards Rise
Argument: South Korea's higher education system is too tough and is causing student suicides.
Rational 1: Globalization
Rational 2: Korean Family Values Source 2: Young Asian American Women: Under Double Pressure
Argument: Young Asian American Women are likely to commit suicide because of the pressure put on their education
Rational 1: Academic Expectations
Rational 2: Gender Expectations Source 3: The Model Minority: Asian-American Youth and the Harmful Perpetuation of a Cultural Myth
Argument: The model minority stereotype put on Asians is responsible for student suicides.
Rational 1: Asian students feel pressured from the racialized expectations of society
Rational 2: Cultural expectations are heightened by model minority expectations Summation of Perspective B Strengths
* Breaks up the branches of education in Asian culture for women
* The idea of the model minority
* Does not acknowledge the other perspective
* The articles seem to have an overall generic Western view of the subject Conclusion I do not believe that the emphasis put on student performance is the main cause of Asian student suicides. After looking over the documents and assessing their content I find that the cause which is largely responsible for Asian student suicides is the emphasis put on success from family and cultural values. Bibliography A1.) Suicide in Korea Series: VI. Case Studies -- KAIST and Ssangyong Motors (http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2013/03/suicide-in-korea-series-vi-case-studies.html)
A2.) Forget What You Think You Know About Asian Youth (http://www.s-r-a.org/announcements/blog/2013-01-17-forget-what-you-think-you-know-about-asian-youth)
A3.) Suicide and the Stress from School (http://boston.com/community/blogs/rock_the_schoolhouse/2013/03/suicide_and_the_stress_from_sc.html)
B1.) SOUTH KOREA: Student stress fuels suicides as standards rise (http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20110625121600802) Bibliography B2.) Young Asian American Women: Under Double Pressure (http://hardboiled.berkeley.edu/archived-issues/year-14/issue-14-4/young-asian-american-women-under-double-pressure/)
B3.) The Model Minority: Asian-American Youth and the Harmful Perpetuation of a Cultural Myth (http://www.studentpulse.com/articles/571/2/the-model-minority-asian-american-youth-and-the-harmful-perpetuation-of-a-cultural-myth)
* Document 1 from Resource Booklet, 'Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior' Family/Cultural Values Success Emphasis on student performance Globalization Modernization Model
Minority A part of Affects Affects One method Outside Entity Oustide Entity