Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
DOPPLER EFFECT AND SUPERSONIC TRAVEL
Transcript of DOPPLER EFFECT AND SUPERSONIC TRAVEL
"The Sound Barrier"
-Point at which aircraft surpasses the speed of sound
-Increased drag (surpasses Transonic, and reaches a Supersonic speed )
-it was seen as an obstacle which had to be surpassed to achieve supersonic speeds.
By: Ananya, Simran, Mehar & Harkrishan
What is the Doppler Effect?
- increase or decrease in the frequency of sound, light, or other waves as the source & the observer move towards or further away from each other
- the case now regards colour (the wavelength that is shifted by the motion of the source)
- wavelengths are greater when the source is moving away from the observer, and smaller when the source is moving towards the observer
when celestial bodies move away from the observer, red shift occures
when celestial bodies move towards the observer, blue shift occures
since this part of the galaxy is moving away from the observer, it will be
since this part of the galaxy is moving toward the observer, it will be
The Doppler effect is not produced by all moving sources of sound!
average speed of a
siren on an emergency vehicle
speed of the vehicle is 10% of the speed of sound, making it a reasonable fraction.
velocity of the moving source of sound must move parallel to the observer to produce the doppler effect
THE SPEED OF THE SOURCE OF SOUND MUST BE LESS THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND
SOUND MOVING IN AN ORBIT AROUND THE OBSERVER WILL NOT CREATE THE DOPPLER EFFECT!
~~CALCULATING THE DOPPLER EFFECT~~
frequency we observe (original)
frequency of source (apparent)
*If source is moving
the detector/observer, the speed of sound is
*If source is moving
from the detector/observer, the speed of sound is
speeds of the source and detector are constant
signs (+, -) instantly switch once the source passes the detector
now.... the source of sound isn't always slower than the speed of sound.
researched sound waves!
what is it?
: ratio between local speed of sound and airspeed
CALCULATING THE MACH NUMBER
airspeed of object
local speed of sound
*REMEMBER THERE ARE NO UNITS USED FOR THIS VALUE*
DETERMINING IF THE SPEED IS "SUBSONIC" OR "SUPERSONIC
: speed less than that of sound
< Mach 1.0
: speed greater than that of sound
> Mach 1.0
example: a car traveling at 30m/s
example: SR-71 Blackbird
TRY THE EXAMPLE ON THE HANDOUT!
what is it?
THE END :D
SUPERSONIC TRAVEL :
when the speed of an object is greater than "Mach1" (the speed of sound)
When this happens,
the sound barrier is broken
What is the sound barrier?