Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
RS 15 Theme A: World Religions -Mormonism
Transcript of RS 15 Theme A: World Religions -Mormonism
Why Study Mormonism?
-they are our brothers and sisters (200,000 in CND)
-understand why they engage in door to door
- famous choir and orchestra
-what is Mormonism?
-answer the question are all Mormons like Sister Wives?
-why do they come door to door
-who are famous Mormons?
Who is Joseph Smith?
- founded Mormonism in 1830
- received a revelation from God (God appeared and The Golden Book)
-Joseph went out into the country to pray and had a vision of God
-Christ told Joseph to restore the true Church of Christ
- 3 yrs later Moroni (angel) told him to unearth and translate a
holy book written on golden plates which contained the writings
of the prophets of ancient America
Joseph Smith's claim
Fact or Fiction??
Where are the Golden Plates now?
What did they say?
sacred text of Mormonism aka The Book of Mormon
other sacred books include: The Bible, Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of a Great Price
the plates after being translated were returned to the angel Moroni never to be found again
tells the story of God's dealing with the ancient inhabitants of the American continent
includes a visit by the risen Jesus to the people of the New World
"This Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church.... If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church.”
Who is the Book of Mormon named for?
- Is believed to be an ancient American prophet who compiled history of ancient civilizations from old records
-document was inscribed on gold plates which his son Moroni buried for safety
-Moroni later appeared to Joseph Smith as an angel
-believe that the B.O.M. is translated correctly unlike the Bible and is the unadulterated word of God
- belief that a human being can become like gods
-they can take on the attributes of God but not be equal to God
Mormon belief in God
-God is an exalted, perfected man
-God has a physical body
-Human beings have a potential to be come like God
-God, Elohim, who was once a man like present day human beings but who lived on another planet
-over time this man made himself like perfect and became God with the knowledge of everything and power to do anything
Elohim - Creator
- created the universe out of material that already existed
-Judeo Christian = creation ex nihilo
- God had Jesus do the work
Jesus in Mormonism
Jesus Christ is the first-born spirit child of God
Jesus Christ has a physical body
He will return to earth and rule for 1000 years
They believe that after the resurrection, Jesus visited America, where he taught and performed miracles.
What's the Catholic Church's take on Mormonism ?
-Let's take a look at how we as Catholics disagree with the Mormon idea of God
Mormons may be persons of good conscience
called to love them in a brotherly and sisterly manner
Mormonism reduces the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit from:
3 Persons of the one, true, and infinite God three limited, finite deities among an uncounted multitude of deities
-whom merely reshaped small parts of a preexisting cosmos
Catholic Church's different understanding of how Jesus is portrayed in Mormonism
-Mormonism teaches that human beings may, by practicing the tenets of its faith, become gods and goddesses themselves, with their own planets full of people worshiping them
Mormonism presents itself as a form of Christianity yet is incompatible with the historic Christian faith
LDS checklist to receive salvation:
believe in J.C.
be baptized into the Church of LDS
receive the gift of the Holy Ghost via a Mormon priest
endure the tests of life on earth
follow the teachings of Christ and the Apostles
Keep God's commandments
undo wrong doings
adhere to Golden Rule
-be open to God's grace !!!
-comes through CC
2 types of salvation: live with God and exaltation
Are Mormons Christians?
- Christian: Believe in the tenets of the Nicene Creed
LDS: differ greatly from the Nicene Creed of 325 A.D.
- not used to regular weekly worship
-reserved for most holy ceremonies
-only Mormons can enter
-house of the Lord
-purpose: to make covenants with God
marriage, endowments, baptism of the dead,
Sunday: rest and worship
Monday: Family day
2 Religious Festivals: Easter and Christmas
Name that famous Mormon....
1. Ran against President Obama as a Republican representative
2. Played a role as an awkward teenager whose character is named after a French military leader
3. Played a role where she was always a bridesmaid never a bride
4. They are part of a family singing sensation in the 70's
5. Quiz show champion on Jeopardy won over $3 million !!!
6. You probably were in love with her vampire characters from her famous novels
7. He played a character who showed Batman the other side of who he is
President Gordon B. Hinckley
"The Prophet Joseph Smith and those closest to him, including Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, were challenged by this command, but they obeyed it. Church leaders regulated the practice. The Lord’s law of marriage is monogamy unless he commands otherwise to help establish the House of Israel (see Encyclopedia of Mormonism Vol. 3, pp. 1091-1095)."
10% of annual income
-maintaining and building temples and chapels
Post-lesson: What have you learnt about
Mormonism? (terms, beliefs, etc.)
What do you admire? Disagree?