Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
PLC w/ clip
Transcript of PLC w/ clip
True or False
1. PLCs and Team Meetings are the same.
2. PLCs are about building friendly relationships amongst its members.
3. PLCs are a factor in increasing student achievement.
4. PLCs require collaboration.
5. PLCs focus only on District and Benchmark testing
6. PLCs have a start time and end time when the goal is accomplished.
The Who, What, When and Why of PLCs
or... PLCs Defined
Teams of teachers with a collective responsibility for the learning of a group of students OR...
A PLC is a collaborative team that is focused on student achievement via intensive data analysis collected from all common assessments. This will be used to guide and make instructional decisions.
In order for a PLC to be effective meetings need to take place weekly (at minimum).
PLCs have been proven as effective ways to increase student achievement.
What do we want our students to learn? These are specific to grade level and are attainable and measurable.
Think LAFS and MAFS
Common Assessments :
Teacher created (not a textbook test) as a collaborative group (PLC)
Simultaneously administered, scored and analyzed
Helps identify problems in the curriculum that need attention
Helps identify students with needs
Helps identify effective teaching strategies
Grade Level or
Subject Area Teams
Statement of intended learning
Think deconstructing the benchmarks.
Common assessments need to be given regularly and scored promptly.
Think Instructional Focus Calendar.
Look for trends in learning and instruction.
Data walls can give a visual of the grade level's strengths and weaknesses.
Ask these crucial questions:
1. What do we want each student to learn?
2. How do we know when each student has learned?
3. How do we respond when a student has difficulty in learning?
4. How do we enrich and extend their learning when they already know it?
Do it again ... this is a never ending continually reoccuring cycle, focused on achieving better results for students.
This may mean thinking outside of the prescribed curriculum.
Rely on the strengths of each member of the PLC.
Why should a school become a PLC? It may seem like a lot of work and change. Is it worth it? What are the benefits?
Equal education, all students have the benefit of the same education regardless of teacher.
"One of the most significant factors that impacts student achievement is that teachers commit to implementing a guaranteed and viable curriculum to ensure no matter who teachers a given class, the curriculum will address certain essential content" (Marzano, 2003)
The following are pieces of the PLC Puzzle… each one we are familiar with… easing into a PLC won’t be too tough!
MTSS - Data
Instructional Focus Calendar
Enhanced student achievement because we are focused on student learning.
Clearer focus for teachers and students due to goal setting.
"A goal without a method is wishful thinking." (W.Edwards Deming)
Improved student statistics and achievement since data is regularly looked at, teachers know where to focus their energy.
Most importantly we get the benefit of each other’s expertise, knowledge and experience.
"The collaborative team, known as professional learning communities, get these results (amazing) because not only are leaders being influential, but peers are supporting and pressuring each other to do better" (Fullan, 2001)
For more information check out