Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Cultural Competency
6 Step Ladder
Culture is the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc. It can also be defind by the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group.
Intentionally destroying or killing a culture. Overt racisim or bigotry.
1. Cultural Destructiveness
Unintentionally destroying a culture.
Paternalism: the attitude or actions of a person, organization, etc., that protects people and gives them what they need but does not give them any responsibility or freedom of choice
Assimilation: to adopt the ways of another culture : to fully become part of a different society, country, etc.
Politics & Religion
2. Unintentional Cultural Destructiveness
3. Color Blind
Example: Nazi Germany
Ignore the differences between cultures and see everyone as the "same".
Myth of America: Everyone is created equal.
4. Cultural Pre-Competence
5. Cultural Competence
Seek to learn about differences.
6. Advanced Competence
Advocate and accept differences and other cultures.