Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of diabeties
• People with diabetes develop heart disease at twice the rate of those without diabetes, and 80% of people with diabetes die from heart or blood vessel disease. • People with diabetes are five times more likely to have a stroke.
• People with diabetes who have already had a stroke are two to four times more likely to have another stroke.
• Of the new cases of blindness in persons age 20 to 74, diabetes is the leading cause.
• Each year, diabetes causes 12,000 to 24,000 people to lose their sight.
• 43% of new kidney disease cases are attributed to diabetes, and diabetes is the leading cause of end-stage renal disease.
• Diabetes is the most frequent cause of non-traumatic lower limb amputations.
• Every year, more than 82,000 people with diabetes have amputations.
the risk of leg amputation alone is 15 to 40 times greater in persons with diabetes.
• Projections for 2003 predicted that more than 210,000 deaths in the United States would be caused from complications of diabetes.
• According to the American Diabetes Association (ADA), about 17 million people in the United States have diabetes, including 11.1 million diagnosed cases and the 5.9 million undiagnosed cases.
Approximately one in every three people has diabetes but doesn't know. Signs/Symptom of having diabetes:•being very thirsty •frequent urination •weight loss •increased hunger •blurry vision •irritability •tingling or numbness in the hands or feet •frequent skin, bladder or gum infections •wounds that don't heal •extreme unexplained fatigue Causes of diabetes:
One exact caused has not been identified,
diabetes is linked to uncontrollable factors such as genetics, race, age, and controllable environmental factors, such as obesity and lack of exercise. Other risk factors include obesity, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and physical inactivity. Treatments:
insulin can help you control high blood sugar levels if you have any. But there is truly no treatment out there that can clean you of diabetes. Benefits of controlling diabetes:
• Five extra years of life • Five more years of eyesight • Six years free from kidney disease • Six years free from amputations and nerve damage • Enjoy a better quality of life Life experiences (diabetics perspective): my dad was diagnosed in 2012; he has been living with it for almost a year and has had to adapt not only his eating habits but his entire life style. For the first month of being diagnosed he was on insulin considering he was having problems controlling his high blood sugars. Once when he realized what the side effects are of using insulin and how much it hurts the human body, he tried to get off of it as fast as possible and succeeded. He had to change his diet, organize more exercises and he need to be extra careful about hurting his feet, toes and hands because of the lack of circulation. Pictures: Sources/easy bib info:
"Diabetes Definitions and Frequently Asked Questions." Diabetes Definitions and Frequently Asked Questions. ©2013 Health First, Summer 2011. Web. 03 Jan. 2013. <http://www.health-first.org/hospitals_services/diabetes_definitions_faqs.cfm>.Health, Diabetes. "Diabetes Informative." The History of Diabetes. Diabetes Health, 23 Aug. 2008. Web. 04 Jan. 2013. <http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/12/17/715/the-history-of-diabetes/>.Clinic, Joslin. "General Diabetes Facts and Information." Diabetes Research, Care, Education & Resources. Joslin Diabetes Center, 2 Jan. 2013. Web. 04 Jan. 2013. <http://www.joslin.org/info/general_diabetes_facts_and_information.html?gclid=CJCtxOOfz7QCFYw-MgodRl4AhA>. How Diabetics change their life styles:
Work out more
if your high blood glucose levels are high enough some doctors will describe insulin
have to be very careful about hurting hands, feet, fingers because of lack of circulation