Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Student CM 380 Definition
Transcript of Student CM 380 Definition
Communication Theory and Processes
What is Theory?
an organized set of concepts or explanations for a phenomenon
one way to capture the "truth"
Genres of Theory
Dimensions of Theory
Structural and Functional
Cognitive and Behavioral
Ontology: nature of being
Appropriateness: logically consistent
Heuristic Value: new ideas
Openness: invites challenge
Humanistic vs Social Scientific Theories
Philosophy: free will
Social Scientific: explain, predict, and control
A "Good Theory:"
Universal Stance vs. Relativists
Determinist (passive) vs. Pragmatists (active)
Realist vs. Nominalist vs. Social Constructivist
Value-free vs. Value-laden