Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Research
The departure from armchair speculation
University of Chicago
- often on the cutting edge of sociological study
- Thought students should actually get out and do research. Hit the streets and do
- Wanted sociology to be more like the natural sciences. He thought all sociological study should be
A theme in sociological research is quantitative versus qualitative
- Firsthand study of people using participant observation
could be participant observation or interviewing
Survey - standardized and open ended
Experiments - simulating the real world in an artificial environment
The dreaded IRB....
The Stanford Prison Experiment
"....Prisoner 819 did a bad thing..."
Hard to do experiments in sociology, too much potential for abuse.
Is the study benefiting at the expense of the subject's physical or emotional well being?
If, in any way it is or could be, it is unethical.
Yes... Sociology is a science... unlike the natural sciences... it is a social science
Tables, charts, graphs .... factual data
In order to find causes for social issues, successes or struggles... we need to gather factual data. This all starts by using the sociological perspective and then the sociological imagination....
We are not taking the view of interpretivism in this course