Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Verbal Communication Online
Transcript of Verbal Communication Online
Language: Arbitrary, Symbolic Ambiguous, Open to Interpretation
Purpose: Self, Relationships, Social Needs, Information, Influence
Sapir Whorf Hypothesis
Chomsky's Universal Grammar Theory
Transaction Model of Communication
Syntactic: red house v casa roja
Semantic: lawyers and children
Pragmatic: use of gay
Rules of Language
Denotative v Connotative
Irony and Sarcasm
Slang and Urban Dict.
Don't Argue Semantics with Me
Synchronous v Asynchronous
Abstract/Vague v Vivid/Specific
Biased - "You" and Gender Neutrality
Powerless - Hedges and Tags
Common Ground Language
Pause for Effect