Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Sentence Structure
Simple sentence examples
- A compound sentence is a sentence that contains at least
What are the three things that make a simple sentence?
By: Allison Zaide, Jazmine Mendoza, Marissa Gomez, Brody Sherak, Samantha Hicks, Alicia Roman
In this activity we will have five rounds. In each round we will have two volunteers. The winners of each round will receive a prize according to the difficultly level.
, in such a way as to make one grammatically dependent on the other.
a) Joe waited for the train but the train was late.
b) Lilly sat down but.
c) The computer crashed then I ate cake.
d) My teacher taught me grammar; I am the best in the class.
e) And then I swam in the ocean.
These are scattered words from a complex sentence. Put them back to its place!
How many compound sentences are there?
1. A subject
2. A verb
3. A complete thought
1. Brody waited for the bus.
Subject- "Brody" Verb-"waited"
2. The train to Hogwarts was late.
3. I looked for Alik on the field.
4. Jazmine sang "Party in the USA" at break today.
5. Allison drove her bug to school yesterday.
A compound-complex sentence is made up from two
and one or more
can stand alone as a sentence. It is also known as a main clause.
is a group of words that contain both a subject and a verb but cannot stand alone as a sentence. It is also known as a subordinate clause.
Although I like to go camping
I haven't had the time to go lately
I haven't found anyone to go with
Does the sentence have a dependent clause?
Does the sentence have two independent clauses?
I sat in my chair
which was very comfortable
I read all night long
They are placed
a complete sentence or independent clause.
A subordinate clause is a clause typically introduced by a conjunction, that forms a part of and is dependent on a main clause.
Directions: Pick one subordinate clause and make it into a complex sentence.
1. After Jalen finished brushing his teeth...
2. Although Chase likes to eat Lasagna...
3. Before Bailey went to the store...
4. Because James is so great...
5. Until Crystal returns my shoes...
Here are some subordinate conjunctions:
Remember: A subordinate conjunction provides a transition between two ideas in the same sentence.
Will contain both a subject and a verb
Also called a dependent clause
Will begin with a subordinate conjunction
Will not make a complete sentence
Examples of subordinate clauses:
Whoever dislikes the new times,
I was at my friend's house
until the sun went down.
At 4'o clock
, the bell will ring.
Nordquist, Richard. "Compound Sentence Definition and Examples
. About.com, n.d. Web. 01 June 2015.
Orange Level, n.d. Web. 01 June 2015.
"What Are Subordinating Conjunctions?"
What Is a Subordinating
? N.p., n.d. Web. 01 June 2015.
"English Composition 1."
ENG 1001: Sentences: Simple, Compound,
. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 June 2015.
- Compound sentences can be easily formed by using
or by using a
"The Compound-Complex Sentence."
. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 June 2015.
Ex.) Sam was running on the track
Jazmine pushed her out of the way.
Ex.) Brody was late to class
he was eating at Taco Bell.
Examples of Compound Sentences:
1. Batman is a hero. He is successful in capturing criminals.
Batman is a hero,
he is successful in capturing criminals.
4. Ice cream is the best dessert
my favorite ice cream is chocolate.
5. The sky is clear
the stars are twinkling.
3. I want to go back home,
I have to go to school.
Each independent clause has a subject and verb.
What is a complex sentence?
Important things to know about complex sentences:
( introduces a subordinate clause )
or relative pronoun.
* If a sentence
starts off with a subordinating
conjunction then a comma
be put after the dependent clause.
* If the independent clause comes first then
comma is needed.
Complex Sentence Examples:
After they left,
Sam and Marissa realized that Brody was waiting at the bus stop.
While she waited at the bus stop,
Alyssa realized that the bus was late.
Because Helia and Alyssa left before lunch,
did not see them at school.
When the dependent clause comes first as in the following :
When the independent clause comes first as in the following:
1. Michele realized the bus was late
while she waited at the bus stop
2. Sam and Marissa realized that Brody was waiting at the bus stop
after they left on the train
Note: Did you realize that the sentences that start with the independent clause don't have a comma?
Marissa walked to class, she tripped over a rock
*Black words are the first clause and
words are the second clause.
tripped over a rock
> Marissa walked to class
He slept early.
Because Jaymoni was out late