Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Media Effects/Theory
Media Theory contd.
Agenda Setting Theory
Violence in the Media
Individual Differences/Limited Effects Theory
Social Learning Theory
Direct Effects Theory
- human needs to gain knowledge and understanding
- human needs for aesthetic, pleasurable and emotional experiences.
Also need to strengthen and evaluate values like family, friends, country, world.
Propaganda and advertising campaigns can be very effective.
Powerful messages in movie and television programming have strong impacts on society
Individual’s values, needs, beliefs and attitudes play a major role.
We learn from observing and modeling in the media and from direct experience as well.
(Albert Bandura...BoBo Doll)
Television is partially responsible for shaping or “cultivating” viewer’s understanding of social reality.
Mean world syndrome
" (George Gerbner)
a phenomenon whereby violence-related content of mass media makes viewers believe that the world is more dangerous than it actually is
News influences our perception of the world.
Media tells us what issues are important...
NOT what to think, but what to think ABOUT
Expectancy theory proposes that a person will decide to act in a certain way because they are motivated to select a behavior over other behaviors due to what they expect the result to be.
Violence is conflict and conflict is the heart and soul of drama
Justice by television
The polarization of America (the media’s role)
Respond vs React
Repeated exposure to media violence causes a reduction in emotional response!!!!
(i.e. War, murder, disasters, assault)
First...Lemme Take a #Selfie