Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

the uses of the Nile

social studies project
by

Jakob Twigg

on 4 January 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of the uses of the Nile

By: Jakob Twigg How do the Egyptians use the Nile River today? The End The Nile River Valley Egypt's agriculture is still very dependent on the river. The Egyptians plant many crops such as citrus fruits, cotton, vegetables, sorghum, sugarcane, and wheat. Every year the water in the Nile rises and fills engineered canals that are used to irrigate the crops away from the river. When the water recedes in October, it leaves behind a rich sediment which is used for fertilizing the crops. The agricultural use of the Nile The Nile is also used as the main source of drinking water. Egypt relies on the Nile for 95% of their water needs. About 50% of Egypt's sewage is treated before it is dumped into the Nile river, which means about 50% of the sewage in is just dumped into the river. Egypt's water treatment plants treat the water to remove chemicals such as ones used in farming and industrial water uses. They also remove the sewage in the water.

How Egypt generates electricity from the Nile The Nile River Valley has an average of three thousand eight hundred twenty people per square mile. Since there are so many people who live in the Nile River Valley, it is ranked as one of the world's most densely populated areas. Ninety-five percent of that population lives on the Nile river banks. I got my information from: http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/nile-river-impact-todays-egyptians About 10%of Egypt's electrical demand is met by hydroelectric power plants along the Nile. In the future, Egypt plans to build several more hydroelectric power plants. The other 90% of Egypt's electricity is met by natural gas power plants. Many of them are located along the Nile and use the Nile's water for part of the process to generate electricity. Hunting and fishing on the Nile The Nile is a large source of food for the people of Egypt. The river is filled with many varieties of fish. The Nile Perch is a really big sport fish that people like to catch in Lake Nasser. This lake was created by Aswan dam on the Nile in southern Egypt. People also hunt for birds in the many marshes of the Nile. People sometimes hunt a crocodile or a hippo to eat. People need to be careful if they are hunting a crocodile or hippo because they have been known to attack people. http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/nile-river4.htm http://library.thinkquest.org/J002037F/the_nile.htm The Nile is under increasing agricultural pressure from the neighboring countries to the south, Ethiopia and Sudan. Ethiopia and Sudan have a large share of the Nile river to. Their increasing requirements have put a strain on the Nile's water supply. captions and more information: The Nile River Valley is located in the northern most point in the Nile. Otherwise known as the Nile Delta. The Delta is a good place for farming because there are many streams that flow off the Nile river. This is a picture of sugarcane. This is one of the many crops Egyptians grow. This is one of the many parts of the Nile river. #1 #2 #3 #4 Basically, Ethiopia and Sudan are taking so much water from the Nile that Egypt is not getting enough water to use for their needs.
Ethiopia and Sudan are located south of Egypt. Since the Nile river flows north, upstream is south and downstream is north. Since Ethiopia and Sudan are south of Egypt they are upstream of Egypt. http://www.dynamicyouth.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1479:pollution-of-the-nile-river&catid=40:environment&Itemid=80 www.eia.gov/cabs/Egypt/pdf.pdf This is a Nile Perch. This is an African crocodile. It can grow over 20 feet and can weigh 2000 pounds. The Nile is used as the chief water way of the region. River boat tours on the Nile are a popular tourist attraction. Every day hundreds of boats tour the Nile river. The Nile is also used for transporting goods on barges, similar to barges on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. This is a barge used on the Nile river. This is a Nile river cruise ship.
Full transcript