Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Using Skype as a Tool to Enhance Curriculum
Transcript of Using Skype as a Tool to Enhance Curriculum
Curriculum Enhancement What is skype? Skype is a web-based tool that allows you to call and video chat with others around the globe. Each user must have an account, although most features are free of charge. Classroom Uses Connect students with the outside world.
Skype and video-chatting brings the classroom into the 21st century.
Provides real-world experiences for young learners.
Meet new common core standards. Classroom Skyping: A Real Example Current States Project Revised States Project 7 paragraph essay
Video-Conference with 3rd grade students in Phoenix, Arizona 7 paragraph essay
PowerPoint Presentation Common Core Learning Standards Addressed by Video-Conferencing Experience
7. Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.
8. Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, assess the credibility and accuracy of each source, and integrate the information while avoiding plagiarism.
www.corestandards.org College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards Writing: Research to Build and Present Knowledge Listening and speaking: Comprehension and Collaboration 1. Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on other's ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
2. Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quanittatively, and orally.
3. Evaluate a speaker's point of view, reasoining, and use of evidence and rhetoric.
www.corestandards.org Making It Meaningful Have students complete pre-writing and pre-conferencing activities. Students took pictures of our local geography, climate, and neighborhood in order to help Phoenix students narrow their questions and comments. We emailed these photos to the students. We received photos from Phoenix as well. As students looked through the photos, they were able to formulate content specific questions to ask during the video-conference. Write a script with students before conferencing. The Skype Session Ms. Allen and I agreed to Skype at 10:30am our time.
Students asked questions in small groups. We asked about temperature, weather conditions, and what it's like to live in Arizona.
Then, the Phoenix students asked us questions. What Kids Learned Why it was a success Authentic learning experience where technology provided a means to new knowledge acquisition
Our focus was not on technology; it was on connecting with people to learn about our country
Starting point for writing in the content areas
Addressed targets set by the common core standards Video From Session "If digital technology is used in low-level ways-to do the same things we have always been doing in schools, just doing them now with computers- then we have failed to grasp the metamorphosis that this technological ecosystem offers. In doing so, we perpetuate an emphasis on students 'receiving' school as if learning were given to them by teachers..."
-Dr. Tim Tyson Reflection on Learning • Venn Diagram comparing and contrasting Arizona and Illinois
• Compare/Contrast paragraph
? "But, how is this learning?"