Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Behavior - Joseph Wolpe
Transcript of Behavior - Joseph Wolpe
Who is ?
Born in 1915 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Best known for developing theories and experiments about:
"South African-born American psychiatrist who made significant contributions to behavior therapy."
Wolpe concluded that a lot of our behavior, whether it be good or bad, is learned. There is no explanation why it could not be unlearned.
Form of "
: Helps overcome phobias and other anxiety disorders.
What is ?
- Physically relaxing yourself, or being in a relaxed state of mind.
- What triggers your fear/phobia? Find out! Write down what you're afraid of, whether it's from experience, or even if it's never happened to you..Yet..
It's important to have detailed and vivid images on your list!
Rank the items on your list from 1-100; 100 being the highest level of anxiety.
PIECING IT TOGETHER
- Pair relaxation with your anxiety hierarchy. Start from your lowest level of anxiety.
Think about the situation. (While in a relaxed state.)
How do you feel?
3 Steps to
Gave mild electric shocks accompanied by certain sounds and visual stimuli
This created the feeling of "fear" when cats would hear the sound
Feeling of fear was "unlearned" by exposing the cats to same sound/visual image, replacing electric shock with food.
What is ?
Aids people to "stand their ground."
: Relax and deal with stressful situations effectively and conquer fears.
In some conditions
Wolpe tried to remove woman's fear of insects.
Usual methods DID NOT work.
Negative association from another source her husband (who she was having issues with.)
Woman's husband was nicknamed for an insect
Work out marital problems
Get a group of people.
Role play to get people to get used to upsetting situations.
Exercises to get people to support and encourage each other.
Teaches every member of the group that they can rely on each other.
Attended college in South Africa.
When World War 2 started, Wolpe joined South African Army as medical officer.
Continued research from there.
Took 2 contrasting ideas and combined them together.
Many psychologists believed approaches in applied science lacked humanistic touch.
Wolpe proved compassionate therapy could be joined with these methods to be used to the best of their abilities.
Contributions to Psychology
Top 3 Things:
- Opening and closing responses.