Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Stats - Final Paper Presentation
Transcript of Stats - Final Paper Presentation
- Dependent variable: Perception of the European Union "In general, does the European Union conjure up for you a [very positive, fairly positive, neutral, fairly negative, or very negative] image?"
- Independent variable: Left/Right position (0-10 scale)
The puzzle; Introduction
- Ideology has structured the political party positions towards the EU (Hooghe and Marks, 2002)
* Has it also structured individuals positions?
- Partisanship is decreasing across Europe and individuals are turning more politically sophisticated (Lau and Redlawsk, 2006)
* Has ideology replaced the role of party alignment?
* How does this affect the traditionally Euroskeptic parties?
- Should we focus on "the case of the left", or "the case of the right"?
- Eurobarometer or ESS?
- How can we control for the effect of the financial crisis?
- Green/alternative/libertarian (GAL) to traditional/authoritarian/nationalist (TAN). "This dimension is the most general and powerful predictor of party positioning on the issues that arise from European integration" (Hooghe, 2002)
* Should we include this?
Techniques of Statistical Analysis II
Final Paper Presentation
March 11th, 2013
- Left/Right scale may not be sufficient - too many people in 4-7 responses
- Lack of time and space - too many concepts
- The diverse nature of European projects - confusing the citizens? What is the EU about?
- There is a "liberalizing and de-regulatory impact on the socio-economic regimes of European Union member states" (Sharpf, 2010)
- Measures fostered by the European Central Bank have been informed by a neoliberal perspective (Forder, 2005)
- Using Time-Series Multilevel Linear Model
"How has ideology been affecting people's perceptions of the EU over time?"
- Inequality Index
- Trust in Institutions
- Party alignment
Has the European dream been crashed? (Baulenas and Andreou, 2013)
Thank you for your Feedback :)