Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Stats - Final Paper Presentation
Transcript of Stats - Final Paper Presentation
- Dependent variable: Perception of the European Union "In general, does the European Union conjure up for you a [very positive, fairly positive, neutral, fairly negative, or very negative] image?"
- Independent variable: Left/Right position (0-10 scale)
The puzzle; Introduction
- Ideology has structured the political party positions towards the EU (Hooghe and Marks, 2002)
* Has it also structured individuals positions?
- Partisanship is decreasing across Europe and individuals are turning more politically sophisticated (Lau and Redlawsk, 2006)
* Has ideology replaced the role of party alignment?
* How does this affect the traditionally Euroskeptic parties?
- Should we focus on "the case of the left", or "the case of the right"?
- Eurobarometer or ESS?
- How can we control for the effect of the financial crisis?
- Green/alternative/libertarian (GAL) to traditional/authoritarian/nationalist (TAN). "This dimension is the most general and powerful predictor of party positioning on the issues that arise from European integration" (Hooghe, 2002)
* Should we include this?
Techniques of Statistical Analysis II
Final Paper Presentation
March 11th, 2013
- Left/Right scale may not be sufficient - too many people in 4-7 responses
- Lack of time and space - too many concepts
- The diverse nature of European projects - confusing the citizens? What is the EU about?
- There is a "liberalizing and de-regulatory impact on the socio-economic regimes of European Union member states" (Sharpf, 2010)
- Measures fostered by the European Central Bank have been informed by a neoliberal perspective (Forder, 2005)
- Using Time-Series Multilevel Linear Model
"How has ideology been affecting people's perceptions of the EU over time?"
- Inequality Index
- Trust in Institutions
- Party alignment
Has the European dream been crashed? (Baulenas and Andreou, 2013)
Thank you for your Feedback :)