Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Optical Fibers :)
Transcript of Optical Fibers :)
Optical Fiber ?
made of Pure glass,
long, and slightly thinner than a human hair !
They permit transmission of light over long distances ,
are used instead of metal wires because signals travel along them with less loss .
consists Of :
Advantages & Disadvanges,
Optical Fibers are
are always made of materials that have large refractive index and they are Thin enough to prevent light from falling on their walls at angle less than critical angle, so light ray suffer total internal reflections until it goes out from the other end of
1. Cost : Expensive to install but last longer than copper cables .
1. Bandwidth :
Fibre optic cables have a much greater bandwidth than metal cables. The amount of information that can be transmitted per unit time of fibre over other transmission media is its most significant advantage. ( 111 Gbits/sec )
2. Low Power Loss :
An optical fibre offers low power loss. This allows for longer transmission distances.
In comparison to copper.
in a network, the longest recommended copper distance is 100m while with fiber, it is 2000m.
3. Interference :
Fibre optic cables have no electromagnetic interference. It can also be run in electrical field without concern as electrical field will not affect fibre.
4. Size :
fibre optic cable has nearly 4.5 times as much capacity as the copper wire has and a cross sectional area that is 30 times less.
The refractive index of the core is greater
than that of the cladding to keep on
the total internal reflection.
1. Single-mode Fiber :
2. Multi-mode Fiber :
Single-mode fiber has a core
diameter of 8–10 micrometers
and is designed for use in the near infrared .
Transmit many types of light signals ,
that makes its usage better for computer networks . Fiber with large core diameter ,
(greater than 10 micrometers)
1. Medical field : In fine surgeries and
2. Communications field : Used instead of copper in Telephone wires, and in HD T.Vs .
3. In military Field : It's difficult to Spy it , or affect its signal .
4ز Sensors : Optical fibers can be used as sensors to measure strain, temperature, pressure and other quantities
5. Power Transmission : Optical fiber can be used to transmit power using a photovoltaic cell to convert the light into electricity .
2. Fragile : Fibres can be broken or have transmission loses when wrapped around curves of only a few centimetres radius.
3. difficult to be spliced after cut.
5ز Security :
fibre is the most secure medium available for carrying sensitive data. As they do not radiate electromagnetic energy
6. Flexibility :
An optical fibre has greater tensile strength than copper fibres of the same diameter. It is flexible, bends easily and resists most corrosive elements that attack copper cable.