Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Regina Olson Hughes
Transcript of Regina Olson Hughes
• Scientific illustrator
• Turned her love of flowers and art into a lasting contribution to science
• Born 1895 Herman Nebraska
• Became Deaf at age 14
• Skilled in sign language when she enrolled in Gallaudet College
• Bachelor degree 1918
• Masters 1920
• Married Dr Fredrick Hughes 1923
• Learned German French Spanish Portuguese Italian and some Latin
• Employed at the State Department as a language translator
• Orchid painting in display at Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution
• Honorary doctorate from Gallaudet 1967
• Only Deaf Artist to have a solo exhibition at the Smithsonian Institution
• Became an Illustrator for Dept. of Ag.
• Self-educated in botany
• Personal oil paintings shown at the International exhibition of Fine and Applied Arts by Deaf Artists 1934
• Loved drawing from childhood
Hired by Department of Agriculture 1925
• Received Superior Service Award for original scientific drawings
• Plant species HUGHESIA reginae and a daisy Billbergia reginae named in her honor.