Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
2018. Spring. Wk 4.1
Transcript of 2018. Spring. Wk 4.1
Week 4, Pt. 1
Fifty two "Lord's Days (129 Q&As)
The only comfort in life and death, Q 1;
What must be done to apprehend this comfort, Q 2
B. Three necessary conditions for apprehending comfort:
1. (Guilt/Sin) Human misery (Q 3—11)
2. (Grace/Salvation) Human deliverance (Q 12—85)
3. (Gratitude/Service) Human thankfulness (Q 86—129)
Addressed to the whole person
(Plantinga, Place to Stand, 21)
How does misery manifest in our world today?
Three voices of discernment:
The Faith Community
The Holy Spirit creating the sacred conversation that can reform Church and Christians (Barnes, Body & Soul, 10).
True worship ... inserts us into God's history. It catches us up in the great biblical drama of salvation that began long before us and will certainly outlive us" (Barnes, Body & Soul, p. 21)
"to pass down information from above"; technically, any confession taught by one generation to the next, often in a question-and-answer format.
How relevant today is Frederick III’s strategy of focusing the church’s energies on “youth ministry”?
Frederick was convinced:
that both the "temporal and eternal welfare" of his subjects are his responsibility"
that the youth must be trained early "in the pure and consistent doctrine of the holy Gospel, and be well exercised in the proper and true knowledge of God."
that the Pastors and Schoolmasters must be provided with a fixed teaching model, by which to regulate the instruction of youth so as not to introduce erroneous doctrine.
Zacharias Ursinus & Caspar Olevianus:
responsible for the doctrinal content
responsible for the devotional content and style
Three groups of personnel:
Theological faculty of Heidelberg University
Chief Ministers (Kirchendienern - "distinguished servants") of the Palatine church
The Heidelberg Catechism was ...
Written in 1563 to promote religious unity in the Lutheran and Catholic territories of Germany.
in the Sixteenth Century
... practically nowhere in Protestantism was the intramural fighting fiercer than in the Palatinate (Plantinga, 19)
An Inheritance of Faith
Three Voices of
1) to sound towards, sound down upon, resound; to charm with resounding sound, to fascinate
2) to teach orally, to instruct
3) to inform by word of mouth; to be orally informed
[Apollos] had been
in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John. He began to speak boldly in the synagogue.