Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
MHLS - CH. 2- PART 1 -BIOLOGICAL BEGINNINGS
Transcript of MHLS - CH. 2- PART 1 -BIOLOGICAL BEGINNINGS
The genetic endowment that members of a species have in common – birds can fly – humans can speak.
3. Each human has an individual heredity provided at conception, when sperm and ovum, each with 23 chromosomes unite to form a single-cell zygote with 46 chromosomes.
4. Human Genome Project (2003) - a project in which researchers mapped the sequence of the chemical units or “letters” that make up the strands of DNA in a full set of human chromosomes.
5. T or F. 999 of 1000 base chemicals in humans are identical.
6. The father determines a child’s gender
6. Genotype: all of a person's genetic material that a person inherits
6. Phenotype: observable, measurable characteristics or traits that are expressed-height,weight,hair color, intelligence.
Cultural Evolution Psychology -
A branch of psychology that emphasizes the importance of adaptation, reproduction, and survival as factors that are important as humans have evolved through time.
The 3 main mechanisms
Some children are affected by inherited changes in gene-linked abnormalities : Hemophilia, Sickle Cell Disease, Spina Bifida, Cystic Fibrosis
Other children are affected by chromosomal abnormalities: Downs Syndrome, Turners Syndrome (small stubby fingers and toes – webbed neck, underdeveloped breasts); Klinefelter’s (Males – sterile At puberty develop feminine sex characteristics)
Fragile X- most common hereditary cause of mental
Single Gene Pair Inheritance – 1 gene – tongue curling, blood type, Hair color, Extra Digits
Sex Linked Inheritance – male; female..Color blindness, Hemophilia
Polygenic Inheritance – Many genes contribute to Height , Weight, Intelligence, Personality,Susceptibility to Cancer
KHAN Academy- Genetics 101-23and me
Abnormalities are detected prenatally:
CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling)
InVitro Fertilization - DNA tests on the first cells.
Amniocentesis- Amniotic Fluid Test in Pregnancy- Nucleus Medical Media
Dear Future Mom- World Down Syndrome Day- Coor Down
Tell Me A Story: Turner's Syndrome Is Something She Has, But It Doesn't Define Her.
Lessons from the Human Genome Project National Human Genome Research Institute