Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
2.01 Twin Study
Transcript of 2.01 Twin Study
What's It All About?
If you study separated twins, you can figure out what has more influence (is stronger),
bit) in someone’s personality (or human characteristics as the article calls them).
(HOW they did it = their methods)
- 50 hours of psychological and medical assessments
- Different types of psychological tests that cover different aspects (like personality traits, occupational interest (jobs), mental ability )
- Assessment of their childhood home environment
- IQ test, life history interview, psychiatric interview, and sexual life history interview
More on HOW
They made sure to SEPARATE the twins and WATCH them (supervise) while they took the test so their answers would be their own.
And they tell us that their sample size (
they did the study on) was all ADULT twins separated in early life and reunited as adults
So They Concluded:
“...On multiple measures of personality and temperament, occupational and leisure time interests, and social attitudes, monozygotic twins reared apart are about as similar as are monozygotic twins reared together.”
identical twins raised apart were almost exactly the same as identical twins raised together.
Twins Reared Apart = Twins Separated at Birth
< Like the movie The Parent Trap !! >
this is rare!! No one would separate twins just for research (that would be unethical), so scientists have to FIND twins who were already separated at birth to study them
Monozygotic and dizygotic twins = Identical and Fraternal (non-identical) twins
Sources of Human Psychological Differences: The Minnesota Study of Twins Reared Apart
Thomas J. Bouchard, Jr., David T. Lykken, Matthew McGue, Nancy L. Segal and Auke Tellegen
(What they Found out)
- IQ is mostly determined by genetic variation (
- Religious interest/values is affected by rearing environment (
- Base physiological and psychological traits are mostly determined by
--the researchers were SURPRISED that they failed to find "significant effects for cognitive abilities or personality" (or that
had very little effect)
THINK ABOUT IT!!
That means that according to their results, these scientists and researchers think that twins, who have the exact same DNA (
), tend to be very much the same even if they are split up and raised by two completely different families (