Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Addiction
Preoccupation/Anticipation Addiction: definition (Koob and Le Moal 1997) Light areas: food intake
Food intake is an evolved behaviour that involves many body systems, brain circuits and their interactions.
Drug addiction is triggered by a pharmacological event which activates pathways that have not originally evolved for this purpose (DiLeone et al. 2012) Experimental subjects: brain damaged patients
with insula and non-insula brain damage.
Analysis of quitting pattern and addiction proceedings after lesion onset - regression analysis
Patients with insula damage - disruption in addiction pattern, much less adverse effects when quitting smoking
Insula - crucial neural substrate for smoking addiction Central role of Nucleus Accumbens in addiction
Stereotactic bilateral lesion of NAc - based on animal experiments introduced into clinical trials in early 2000.
Procedure conducted in 272 patients (China) ~ 58% no relapse after 5 years; no major adverse effects
Best alternative for surgery would be deep brain stimulation Early approaches to treat addiction with surgery hypothalamy
cingulatomy MORE DETAILS What are the risks? Dark areas: drug reward 1) "compulsion to seek and take the drug
2) loss of control of limiting intake
3) emergence of negative emotional state"