Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Socialism
described something similar to a utopian
"Our aim in founding the State was not the
disproportionate happiness of any one class,
but the greatest happiness of the whole; we
thought that in a State which is ordered with a
view to the good of the whole we should be most likely to find Justice, and in the ill-ordered State injustice: and, having found them, we might then decide which of the two is the happier. Suppose that we were painting a statue, and some one came up to us and said, Why do you not put the most beautiful colours on the most beautiful parts of the body --the eyes ought to be purple, but you have made them black --to him we might fairly answer, Sir, you would not surely have us beautify the eyes to such a degree that they are no longer eyes; consider rather whether, by giving this and the other features their due proportion, we make the whole beautiful." Plato with Aristotle Utopian Society - A map of countries (using present-day borders) that have constitutionally declared themselves to be "socialist" (Marxist and non-Marxist) at some point in their history.
Currently, there are countries that are concidered socialist:
People's Republic of China
* more than 40 utopian-themed novels were published from 1700 to 1850 Source: http://money.howstuffworks.com/socialism2.htm Source: http://money.howstuffworks.com/socialism2.htm * François Noël Babeuf is considered the first socialist during the French Revolution
* Communites such as Brook Farm and New Harmony began popping up in the United States and Europe.
* Socialism becomes a reality when soviet dictator Vladimir Lenin impliments a socialist-communist government.
* After World war 1 many democratic socialist parties appeared all over Europe, and the world. Democratic socialism In Europe... "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
- Winston Churchill = = $$$ Country SOCIALISM I am the dictator APPLIED Socialism Capitalism Equality Classless Government Control Equal pay health care education UTOPIA Fair labour Cooperation equal benefits Mandated production and prices Inequality Private Property Seperated classses Dystopia Individuals corporations Class based society Mixed Economy Mixed Economy Competetive success Product demand Supply Left Right Change Tradition Radicals Reactionary Centre Liberals Conservatives Socialism Communists Fascism Moderates http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz Key People Pro's and Con's Significance Legacy In theory, socialism: Removes the social classes of society Eliminates poverty, need, hunger, and suffering Good education and public services Increases the rights of workers Social programs In reality, socialism: Increases taxes Some believe government= too strong Everyone is treated the same regardless of ambition Dictatorship Human rights are infringed Communism VS. The Branches of Socialism Socialism Communism Marxism-Leninism Libertarian Socialism
and Social anarchism
National Socialism Democratic Socialism Stalinism Trotskyism Karl Marx 1818-1883 “Democracy is the road to socialism” Freidrich Engels 1820-1895 "Freedom is the recognition of necessity" Robert Owen (1771- 1858) "Women will be no longer made the slaves of, or dependent upon men…. They will be equal in education, rights, privileges and personal liberty". John Lennon 1940- 1980 "Imagine there's no countries, It isn't hard to do, Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too, Imagine all the people, Living life in peace." Comparision on Communism and Socialism Communism Socialism Equal labour
govermental control of production Military action
Political and economic system Economic system
Power in the people
Capitalism still exists
Slow reform brought by the "working class" http://www.enscriptchun.net/words/sa/ps3.html Socialist parties started developing Today... Parallels in time... French Revolution 1789 Industrial Revolution 1700-1800 Historical relavance... Political systems e.g. social democracy Countries e.g. Cuba Social programs e.g. Health care Any Questions? Tutorial 1. Do you believe that it is possible for socialism (equality, collectivism, and government control of property and industry) to exist within a capitalist (individualism, competition and private property) society? How?
2. Many Americans believe that Canada is turning into a socialist state, now that you know the general idea of socialism, do you agree that Canada is a socialist state?
3. Should socialist countries present in today’s society alter their political systems? Do you believe capitalism is more effective than socialism?
4. Do you believe that a state can reach a socialist political system without military action, or the use of communism and authoritarian means? "A map of the world that does not include Utopia is not even worth glancing at for it leaves out the one country where Humanity is always landing. And when Humanity lands there, it looks out, and seeing a better country, sets sail. Progress is the realization of Utopias." -Oscar Wilde