Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Hitler Defies Versailles Treaty
Transcript of Hitler Defies Versailles Treaty
lost territory and had substantial restrictions on military operation. MARCH 1935 *Adolf Hitler announced that Germany would not obey these restrictions which limited the size of Germany's army. In result the League of Nations only issued a small punishment *Hitler was convinced to take even greater risks because of the leagues failure to stop Germany from continuing to advance. Rhineland * German troops weren't able to enter due to the treaty * The area formed a buffer between France and Germany * On March 7th, 1936, German troops moved to this area. * The French were afraid to risk war and the British urged appeasement, giving in to an aggressor to keep peace The truth shall set you free...NOT! *Hitler claimed that if the French and British would have challenged him, he would have "backed down" This was a big mistake for France and Britain... Hitler's big ego Three things resulted from appeasement.
1. Hitler's power and prestige in Germany strengthened
2. The balance of power changed in favor of Germany
3. The weak response from France and Britain encouraged Hitler to speed up his expansion
The "great" alliances *Mussolini realized that Hitler's power was growing and in order to stay out of trouble he felt an alliance was necessary. * In October 1936, the two dictators came to an agreement. This became known as the Rome-Berlin Axis. *A month later Japan and Germany also came to an agreement. *Germany, Italy and Japan together came to be known as the Axis Powers. Write to think What do you believe would have been the outcome if France and Britain would have challenged Hitler when he moved to the Rhineland?