Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Thesis Statements
First Paragraph of Essay
Now it's Your Turn!
Take a few minutes to decide..
1. Lebron James' ability to score, pass, and rebound make him the league's most valuable player.
Vs. The Bad
2. Does Lebron James' ability to score, pass, and rebound make him the league's most valuable player?
3. I believe, Lebron James' ability to score makes him the league's most valuable player.
3. Lebron James' ability to score, pass, and rebound may make him the league's most valuable player.
Lil Wayne may be a better performer than Jay Z.
The Dominican Republic is a great place to visit because it is warm all year long.
In my opinion, Pawtucket is a great place to live.
What is a Thesis Statement?
-Presents your opinion on a subject/ issue
Air Jordans have been popular for decades, but why?
The three reasons you believe they have remained popular!
-It is what you are arguing in your paper!
"Air Jordans have remained popular for several decades because _______, ________ and _________.
3 Possible Reasons Why We Love Jordans:
1. They're named after legend- Michael Jordan
2. They're made with high quality material
3. Sports and music stars wear Air Jordans
(Kanye & many more!)
Air Jordan sneakers have remained popular for several decades because they're
named after Michael Jordan,
made of high quality material
worn frequently by celebrities.
A Successful Thesis Statement:
-Should typically be 1 sentence long
-Is a statement, not a question, & can be argued
- Has a narrow focus
- Has 3 supporting points
-Does NOT contain qualifiers
I believe, I think, In my opinion
-Is the last sentence of your intro paragraph
-Usually around $150 a pair or more
-Spend the night waiting
-People collect them
Putting it All Together: Intro
Think of your intro paragraph like a funnel!
What is the point of a thesis statement
-Shows reader what you are arguing
-Focuses your paper
3 points in thesis =
3 body paragraphs!
How can we correct these examples?
Create a thesis statement for your paper topic!
1.) Pick one symbol from the novel and analyze its effect over the course of the novel. What idea does the symbol represent? How does it impact the novel?
In The Great Gatsby, the Green Light symbolizes ________, _________, and _________.