Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Art Elements: Line
Transcript of Art Elements: Line
Straight lines that goes across the page
- expresses calmnes, stability, tranquility
- rest, serenity
a horizontal line
a landscape (think horizon line)
Staight lines the goes up and down the page
- expresses poise, alertness, balance, firmness, strength
- uprightness, integrity, dignity, formality
- energy, dynamism, impulse, will power, aspiration, passion, emotion
- uncertainty, instability, insecurity and impending collapse
Zig Zag/Jagged LINES
- expresses pain, difficulty, discomfort
- danger, torture, physical and psychological menace
- tentativeness, indefiniteness, insecurity
- expresses grace and beauty
- firm, precise, measurable, purposeful, discipline, logical order, rigid, auster, ascetic, impersonal
- feeling, impulse, spontaneity, play, grace, charm, sensuality
QUALITY OF A LINE
• Expressive Qualities of Line
The expressive qualities of line are as variable as each artist’s work.
Lines can be short, long, thick, thin, smooth, textured, broken, flowing, dark, light, heavy, soft, hard, playful, ordered, even, chaotic, calligraphic, authoritative, tentative, smudged, uneven, straight, crooked, choppy, ghostly, graceful; the variety is endless.
A Path made by a Moving Point. It can be
straight, curved, zig zag, implied or dotted
Art made with horizontal lines
Can you see the horizontal
lines in the photograph?
Expressive lines impart emotional qualities to lines. For example, lines with sharp peaks are not easily read by our eyes and impart a feeling of uneasiness. In contrast, lines without sharp edges, which allow our eyes to flow easily, make us feel calm and comfortable.
Sharply angled lines suggest excitement, anger, danger, chaos.
Flat lines suggest calm.
Wide lines suggest bold strength.
Gently curving lines suggest unhurried pleasure.