Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
20131112 Suji and Xueyan - THE RISE OF CHINA
Transcript of 20131112 Suji and Xueyan - THE RISE OF CHINA
Su Jeong Ji and Xueyan Xing
Leadership & Human
5) features of
Chinese Leadership - New China
6) How China has generated support for its policies
7) How China has generated support for its policies
- What is "ideational power"?
1) Joseph Nye, 1990
- “attraction rather than coercion”
- “allies, economic assistance, and cultural exchanges”
- “public opinion and credibility"
2) Ideational power & Soft power
- close concepts
- innovation; political and diplomatic leadership
Question: Why would the West hope that China will undergo political liberalization？
Leadership and Human Resources
Mao Zedong, Deng Xiaoping, (Jiang Zeming), Hu Jintao, Xi Jinping
Innovation and Research
- Confucian Institute
- Culture and the ideational power
- Reinforcement of culture; Confucianism
Why China felt the necessity to reform as a new China?
1. Spread of Capitalism
2. Lessons from 'Tiananmen protests' and 'Soviet collapse
2-1) Tiananmen protests
2-2) Soviet collapse
How Does China generate support for its policies
With foreign policy
: “Peaceful rise” → “Peaceful development”
1. Progressive engagement with the liberal international order
: “The richer and more modern China becomes, the more it relies on, and integrates with, the international community” (p.135)
2. Suggest an alternative model
: Capitalism in a less Western, less liberal format
→ Diminish the traditional leverage and centrality of Western economic power
Chairman of the CPC Central Military Commission
President of the People's Republic of China
Chairman of the CPC Politburo Standing Committee
Education: inside China, outside China, between China and the outside world
- Higher education
- Hard power (technology)
Aeronautics and astronautics
- Should the West be afraid? Not yet.
- Problems / critiques
“A central dimension of ideational power that is a net positive for China that consists of the work, investment, and aspirational elements that we associate with the Chinese Culture”
Harper, Stefan (2010) The Beijing Consensus
Kurlantzick, Joshua (2007) Charm Offensive
Lampton, David (2008) The Three Faces of Chinese Power
How does China generate support for its policies
: "Chinese Nationalism" is
1) a great source of
and strength for Beijing
2) a potentially
can aim at the regime's heart
3) a source of
anxiety to foreigners
: A global phenomenon
: Achieve economic growth → increase living standard and political stability
=> China has come to
rely on international market and global trade to sustain economic growth
, rising standards of living and political stability
: A limited student movement could quickly draw support from other elements and escalate beyond control
=> Coercion along was inappropriate to maintain control over time
“Gorbachev made a fundamental errors by loosening the political reins faster than he was able to introduce economic reforms sufficient to cushion any changes on the political front” (p. 142)
- dogmatic ideology
- entrenched elites and dormant party organization
- isolated economy
Ideological dogmatism dismissed certain reforms as capitalist
Ideological and Diplomatic Aspects in China's ideational power
1) features of
Chinese Leadership - New China
2) How China has generated support for its policies
3) How China has generated support for its policies
4) Again, Quality and Skills of
Features of Chinese Leadership
Features of the new China's Leadership
the comprehensive power of the state
2) consider material
living standard of the people
3) be more
4) seek for
Chinese Leadership in Ideational Power
2. Distinction from the powerful's order
1. Sustain Growth
2. an appeal to nationalism
Is China's model attractive to be applicable to other countries?
Are there limitations to apply?
How do you think about this statement;
"China's attempt to reassure others in the international system with ideational power will be effective only as long as its coercive and economic faces are also reassuring"?
"Increased prosperity under market reform for countries like China would naturally lead to gradual
assimilation with the liberal international order
pluralism at home
How does China deal with the issues?