Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Effectiveness of Mother Tongue Instructions as Curriculu
Transcript of The Effectiveness of Mother Tongue Instructions as Curriculu
The Effectiveness of Mother Tongue Instructions as Curriculum Applied in Mathematics
THE PROBLEM AND ITS BACKGROUND
Besides increasing the number of years in school, the K to 12 program of the Department of Education (DepEd) has introduced another change in the country’s schooling system– using the mother tongue as medium of instruction. It will be applied to the preschool students up to the Grade 3 students for them to easily understand their lessons. More than improving the comprehension skills of students, the mother language education also aims to address another long-standing problem in the country’s educational system – the increasing dropout rate among the youth. The main topic of this study is how effective is the use of mother tongue instructions when it’s applied in the high school level especially in the subject of Mathematics.
We all know that when you enter high school level, there will be a lot of changes. Lessons are getting harder each year. One of the hardest subject to cope up with is Mathematics. Things get complicated to a student when Mathematics is now applied with some variables and symbols. Since the student’s own language enables him/her to express him/herself easily, then, there is no fear of making mistakes. It encourages active participation by the student in the learning process because they understand what is being discussed and what is being asked to them.
They can immediately use their mother tongue to construct and explain their world, articulate their thoughts and add new concepts to what they already know.
This study is not only for the students but also for the teachers for they are the ones who impart knowledge on the students. They can easily express what they are trying to say unlike using another language that they are sometimes having a hard time to recall or pronounce a word to use. Teachers play an important role in the implementation of not only mother tongue instruction policy but also of other educational reforms at the classroom level. The language that teachers speak at home may sometimes derail the successful implementation of mother tongue policy especially if the teachers are asked to implement the policy in areas where their language is different from that of the learners.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and UNESCO Philippines, through former Secretary Alberto Romulo: “Multilingualism is the order of things in the UN and in the world. The unique richness of the world’s national identities draws on the many traditions that make up different countries and are expressed through local and indigenous languages. UNESCO supports mother tongue instruction as a means of improving educational quality by building upon the knowledge and experience of the learners and teachers.”
• Application of the Mother tongue instructions in Mathematics
• The teacher’s strategy in teaching
• The Effectiveness of Mother Tongue Instructions as Curriculum applied in Mathematics
• Understanding of the students with the step by step procedures being taught
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
1. What are the interventions of instructions in teaching Mathematics?
1.3 Instructional aids
1.4 Manipulative materials
2. How does the Mother tongue applied as the basis of curriculum?
3. What is the effectiveness difference between the Mother tongue instructions as curriculum applied in Mathematics?
3.3 Family status
4. What are the differences between the Mother tongue instructions as curriculum applied in Mathematics?
5. How do the students develop the Mother tongue?
6. How does the Mother tongue affects and helps us in Mathematics?
There is no significant difference between the effectiveness of mother tongue instructions as curriculum applied in Mathematics.
SCOPE AND DELIMITATION
This Study covers the effects of the language of the Student's environment on his Overall Performance in Mathematics. This Study will include the Advantages and Disadvantages of the language a student is familiar with, in Mathematics. The research limited other factors that affect the Student's Mathematical skill other than the given examples. The study focuses more on the results or effects. It gives focus on the development of the language of a child and also how he/she can apply this in his/her subjects especially Mathematics. Also the study focuses on the teachers because they are the one who will be using the mother tongue as they teach the students or give instructions to them. The respondents of the study are from St. Francis of Assisi Montessori School of Cainta. They were the basis of some data of the study.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The teachers will also benefit with the mother tongue instructions as curriculum applied in mathematics because sometimes they are having a hard time to explain how to solve a certain equation. Sometimes, they are still recalling the word to use when explaining and it’s just a waste of time. They can explain spontaneously when they are using the language they are comfortable with.
Parents always look for the school which has something good to offer to their child. Better curriculum gives additional image to the school which attracts more enrollees. With this Mother tongue curriculum, parents would be more comfortable for they know that their child will learn better if they are using the language they are used to.
Better communication will be improved if children practice the language people around them speak. And this can be improved when they practice it every day. We all know that almost the whole childhood we spend in our lives is more on school life. So communication is better passed on during the childhood years.
Proper use of language in the signings can promote orderliness and cleanliness while helping the students understand and improve their language.
This study is significant to the Students for they are the ones who will benefit big. They will learn many easily when the teacher gives out instructions that they really understand. They can easily hook with the study because they clearly understand what the teacher is talking about.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
• mother tongue
RELATED LITERATURE AND STUDIES
One of the related studies related to the study is entitled “Teaching Literature in the Mother Tongue: Its Impact on the Learning Process & Appreciation of One’s Culture” by its authors, Bernardita B. Riñon, Beverly R. Miraflor, and Francia A. Ilarde.
Another related study is entitled “Use of mother tongue vital, studies show” by Premyuda Boonroj. It stated that the importance of mother tongues was emphasized at a forum on Language, Education and the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), as they are a key factor for education and the success of other development efforts.
This study used a research method conducting a survey to collect the data needed. This includes the instruments/tools, respondents and sampling technique and research design. The received data from the questionnaire were recorded and tallied for statistical treatment.
The data needed in this research were supplied through the use of a 25-item checklist/questionnaire to determine the Effectiveness of Mother tongue instructions as curriculum applied in Mathematics.
SAMPLES AND SAMPLING TECHNIQUE
From a total of seventy-nine (79) Grade 7-10 students of St. Francis of Assisi Montessori School of Cainta for school year 2013 - 2014, the researchers utilized only seventy-three (73) samples.
RESEARCH DESIGN AND PROCEDURE
The study entitled “The Effectiveness of Mother Tongue Instructions as Curriculum applied in Mathematics” made use of the descriptive identification of the effectiveness of this curriculum.
The researchers gathered the data through the following procedures:
1. The researchers prepared the questionnaires to be given to the respondents.
2. The researchers selected 73 students to participate in the study.
3. The survey questionnaire was administered to the respondents during their vacant time.
4. The scores of the respondents in the survey questionnaire were recorded for statistical treatment.
5. The use of the mean scores was first used to compute the weighted mean.
6. The use of T test is also used to determine if two sets of data are significantly different from each other.
TREAMENT OF DATA
The formula is
X = ∑X / N
Where: X = the computed mean
∑X = sum of the scores
N = total number of scores in the set
T test is used to compare two different set of values.
PRESENTATION, ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION OF DATA
The data needed in this research were supplied through the use of a 25-item checklist/questionnaire. Seventy-three (73) respondents supplied the data needed for this study. They rated each item with the ratings of: 1- Strongly Disagree, 2- Disagree, 3- Neutral, 4- Agree and 5- Strongly Agree.
The study aimed to identify the Effectiveness of Mother Tongue Instructions as curriculum applied in Mathematics. This curriculum would be a better help with our education because it enables or allows us to use the mother tongue as medium of instruction in schools. The main purpose of this change is to reduce the struggle of the students who are having a hard time to cope up with their lessons because teachers are using unfamiliar languages in teaching. Mother tongue language would be a big help to students in understanding their lessons without any difficulty. The students can clearly understand the step by step procedure if it’s delivered to them in a language they are comfortable with. They can also make their own techniques based on their understanding on how to solve problems and equations.
In the light of the findings and conclusions of this study, the following recommendations are suggested:
1. Attention and Interest towards Mathematics can be build up by choosing the right language which the students can easily comprehend.
2. Students should apply the language they use at home to boost their self-esteem and stimulate their confidence when speaking in front of the class or recitations.
3. Mother tongue policy should also be implemented on higher levels to enable to express themselves and ideas accurately.
4. Introduce this new curriculum in every school especially in provinces to provide easier learning experience to every student.
5. Mathematics teachers should have new strategies in teaching regarding with the way they communicate with their students.
6. Share this study or research as a tool for teachers, for them to know what the students need nowadays. They will benefit because they will have new techniques in teaching.
Based on the given statements and findings about the study, the following conclusions are drawn:
1. Language plays an important role or matter in studying mathematics or any other subjects as well. Sometimes the level of interest of the students dependson what language the teacher uses to communicate.
2. A precise language would be a big help to students in understanding lessons without any difficulty. It makes the class flow faster when using the language they speak at home.
3. Both the student and the teacher should be comfortable with the language they are using. Students will be more interested with the subject and might as well affect their grades and attain better results.
4. Students will improve their comprehension skill and will aim to address the problem in our education. It also infuses the sense of Nationalism of the students.
The survey conducted shows that the Neutral ratings of the students represent their idea about the curriculum. The result which is Neutral refers to the word ‘impartial’ which means it is not helping or supporting either side of Agree and disagree. The application of this curriculum in Mathematics would not be guaranteed as a success but it would be effective for their understanding of the lesson and how they can perform the step by step procedures of the problems given to them.