Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of SUCCESSFUL WRITING
and the addressed person ? 1. Use suitable language
2. Be concise and clear. The problems should be sequenced logically and clearly so be careful with your tenses.
3. "New" language. - What is a paragraph ?
- Number of paragraphs in the example .
- Information in each paragraph 1. Choose the right register 2. What's register ? 3. Examples LAYOUT 2.How does the letter start and finish ? - If you don't know the person :
- If you know the person :
Dear Mr Vernon,
Yours sincerely, PARAGRAPHS -P. 1: state the reason you are writing
-P. 2 : give precise details of what you are complaining about.
-P.3: Suggest what you think should be done LANGUAGE STRATEGIES
Choose a topic for which you think you know the most vocabulary, not the one that interests you most. REGISTER What kind of register should you use ? LAYOUT - Number of paragraphs?
- How many ? What ? LANGUAGE 1. What is the main tense used ?
2. Useful language to be used ...
Vocabulary Grammar What about CONTRACTIONS ? WRITING
'ESSAY STRUCTURE LANGUAGE What is an 'essay An opinion essay presents our personal opinion on a particular topic.
We need to state our opinion clearly and support it with examples or reasons. Paragraph 1 :
Present the topic and state our opinion clearly Paragraphs 2 & 3: present your viewpoints and give reasons/examples. We present each viewpoint, with reasons/examples, in a separate paragraph. Paragraph 4 :
present the opposing viewpoint and
give examples/reasons Paragraph 5:
Restate your opinion
using different words s WHICH ? "I strongly believe that we rely too much on technology today. This means that we are losing important skills such as personal communication. For instance, people who spend long hours in front of a computer no longer know how to talk to other people , and may even feel uncomfortable in the company of others." "I think computer games are good stuff. They help us learn all about technology. This is important 'cause it'll help us to get ready for our future jobs. You know, all jobs in the future will need computer skills." TENSES:
We usually use PRESENT TENSES in this kind of writing Avoid using informal language such as contractions and colloquialism
(eg: "What's up ?") Useful expressions to
introduce your opinion:
In my opinion,
I (strongly) believe that ...
It seems to me that ... We can find opinion essays in newspapers and magazines as articles or letters to the editor, etc... Useful structures :
"new" structures How many Useful vocabulary :
"new" words How many Connectors Find the synonym:
1. For example
2. In conclusion
4. In contrast a. To begin with
b. On the other hand
c. To sum up / Summing up
d. For instance CONNECTORS REMEMBER 1. BRAINSTORM - relevant ideas
-"new"language 2. DRAFT - paragraphing
- use text organizers
- careful with tenses,
pronouns ... 3. FINAL VERSION - Careful with your spelling and silly or basic mistakes.
- Check the new language you have incorporated