Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
world cultures final project
Transcript of world cultures final project
-Revolution day on February 11
-Oil nationalization day on March 20
-Islamic republic day on April 1
-Armed Forces day on April 18 Geography Iran has two major mountain ranges
- The Zagros which are in western Iran
- The Alburz in the north Currency The Iran currency is called a Rial It is one of the least valued currencies in the world Government The most powerful is the Supreme Leader Current Supreme Leader is Ali Khamenei The president is Mahmoud Ahmadinejad since August 2005 Demographics The literacy rate in Iran is 84% in males and 70% in females which shows that the male students being separated from female students could be the cause of the differnce in literacy The life expectancy is 71 for males and 75 for females 1 USD= 12,285 Rials cites "Iran." Encyclopedia Americana. Grolier Online, 2012. Web. 19 Nov. 2012. Education the qur'an is the muslims holy book Although they can worship other religions the civil law is based on islamic principals Language The language of Iran is Farsi (Persian) http://holyquraninfo.wordpress.com/ http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/irans_disputed_election.html The different regions are isolated from each other because of the mountainous land Iran is bowl shaped with an average elevation of 3000 feet above sea level Iran covers 636,372 square miles http://www.vidiani.com/?p=3583 http://online.culturegrams.com/world/world_country.php?contid=3&wmn=Asia&cid=77&cn=Iran http://www.mountararattrek.com/demavendtrek.htm Religious leaders have strong influence in the government Food In Iran the most important meal of the day is the midday meal They eat dinner usually after 8 pm When they have guests they often prepare elaborate persian meals recipes: Khoresht- stew served white rice
Kuku- vegetable souffle
polo- white rice with addition of meat or vegetables The language is written in Arabic script and is written from right to left Hello- Salam! http://www.farsinet.com/farsi/ http://www.stanford.edu/dept/lc/arabic/alphabet/chart.html The government makes a majority of the economy because the private sector is limited Iran's economy is struggleing because unemployment is a large issue in the country Iran's unemployment rate is at 15.3% The GDP by sector is agriculture at 10.3%, industry at 40.2%, and services at 49.5% http://www.iraq-businessnews.com/2010/05/05/iran-iraq-to-develop-5-oilfields/ Art The most common art in Iran is the handwoven persian rugs and carpets Iranians have excelled in carpet weaving since ancient times Music Music is a large part of iranian culture Iran has a variety of genres of music just like what we have here they range from classical to pop to alteritave The most popular genre of music listened to in Iran is classical some popular artists are: Sussan Dayhim Ensemble Sarband The constitution made in 1979 imposed Islamic laws on every part of life in Iran, and granted a large amount of power to supreme religious leaders elementary school is required for Iranian kids between the ages of 6 and 10 only three-fourths of children go on to secondary school followed by another three years of high school Girls and boys go to seperate classes but not usually seperate schools After they finish that they may begin a trade career or go to additional years of school called pre-university The population is 78,868,711 people The total median age is 27.4 years
for men it is 27.1
for women it is 27.6 Architecture Dress http://www.anvari.org/cols/Only_in_Iran.html Iranian men usually wear western style clothing women in Iran are encouraged to be covered from head to toe when out on the streets "National Geographic Music (National Geographic)." Ensemble Sarband : National Geographic World Music. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Jan. 2013. "Central Intelligence Agency." CIA. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Jan. 2013 Iranian women wear a robe called a chador and only women's hands and face should be seen in public Religious leaders wear robes or turbans Women wear the hijabs to cover their heads Persian architecture varies from small huts to large elaborate structures http://tehran.stanford.edu/imagemap/tehran.html http://www.iranreview.org/content/Documents/Iranian_Architecture.htm The Teppe Zagheh is the oldest remains of a building in Iran http://www.iranreview.org/content/Documents/Iranian_Architecture.htm House in Iran http://www.revolutioner.net/design/unique-architectural-design-and-structure-kandovan-iranian-village-carved-in-volcanic-rocks-9988/ "Iranian Architecture." Iranian Architecture. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Jan. 2013. Climate Iran has a variety of climates They have long dry hot summers from June to August Winter is from December to February and is colder in the north along the Caspian Sea http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=760260&page=8 http://www.irantravelserice.com/vIran-Travel-Service-Articles/iran-in-summer-you-must-be-kidding.html s Gestures Iranian men and women socialize seperately At social events they often kiss to greet each other and on the street they shake hands The most common greeting they use is "salaam" witch means peace http://article.wn.com/view/2009/06/17/Ahmadinejad_escapes_Irans_unrest_to_attend_Russian_talks/ Information Technology There are 27.767 million phone lines in Iran There are 56.043 cellphone lines Iran's telecom company is state owned There are 8,214 internet users The TV broadcasts are all state owned The Iranian peoples source of information is heavily influenced by the government
The internet is the only way they can get information that isn't provided by their government http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4589677.stm Entertainment Iranians enjoy a variety of sports like soccer wrestling martial arts volleyball and table tennis They frequently attend movies and like to socialize They visit teahouses and shop in bazaars http://www.irantravelingcenter.com/bazaar_iran.htm http://redsports.sg/2010/01/07/iran-singapore-football-3/ Iran has a theocratic government Current Issues Iran's nuclear program is causing issues within the region as well as around the world The global community believes Iran's neuclear program is enriching uranium in order to build nuclear weapons Iran claims the purpose of the program is to develop nuclear power In the fall of 2012 sanctions that had been placed on Iran were continuing to weaken the economy the european union implemented tougher sanctions These sanctions could negatively efect the Iranian people because they hurt the economy Hopefully the Iranian government will slow or stop uranium enrichment so the sanctions can be lifted 1795 "Iran's Nuclear Program (Nuclear Talks, 2012)." Iran's Nuclear Program (Nuclear Talks, 2012). N.p., 01 Jan. 2013. Web. 01 Jan. 2013. History of Iran Tehran became
the capital 1800s Sells banking, mining,
and railroad rights to
Great Britain 1906 First government
is formed in Iran 1914-1918 Iran declares it is
neutral in world war I 1935 Government specifies
country's name as Iran 1962 Women get the
right to vote 1980 Iran-Iraq
war begins 1979 The former constitutional
monarchy is replace by
an Islamic Republic 1988 Iran-Iraq
war ends 2012 The Rial drops 80% of its value compared to the US dollar "Iran Profile." BBC News. BBC, 18 Nov. 2012. Web. 01 Jan. 2013. Somvervill, Barbara A. Iran: Enchantment of the World. New York: Scholastic, 2012. Print. Global Contributions Iran's major global contribution is oil and gas 80% of the exports in Iran is petrolatum Other exports are natural gases, Persian rugs, and fruits and nuts Trivia Iranian athletes participated in the olympics for the first time in 1948 The Karun River is the only river in Iran that can be navigated by boat 60% of the world's oil reserves is held in the Persian Gulf 70% of Irans population is under the age of 30 "65 Interesting Facts About . . ." 65 Interesting Facts about Iran. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Jan. 2013.