Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Project Management Basics: Part One
Transcript of Project Management Basics: Part One
*informal and no promise of accuracy...
What is a "project"?
Focus on Planning
What do you want to get out of these three sessions?
Anyone with certifications?
Ideas from the audience
PMBOK (2000) definition:
Definition from PMBOK Third Edition (2004)
What is Project
Each stage of work should always be
going through the next phase gate. Why?
3. What are the benefits of doing a charter?
2. What are the key elements you would include?
1. Who are the potential audiences?
Get four people and take ten minutes to discuss
(then you will report back out):
4. Is there an ROI? I.e., why bother creating a charter at all?
Agile (and scrum)
Project Management 2.0
PM Triple Constraint Triangle
Dilbert: The Patron Saint of project managers...
PMBOK, Third Edition
project team (current / future)
others competing for same resources
other areas considering similar projects
people writing the Charter itself
Goals (end result)
Who does what (high level)
In and out of scope
High level strategies for achieving the goal ("objectives"?)
Risks and assumptions
Justification / business case
Dependencies (external, staffing, skills, money, other projects, etc.)
Memorializing buy-in and commitment
Clear next steps
Operationalize background mapping (20/20 hindsight?)
Establishes the initial stakeholders
Identify initial "investors" (time, money, support, champions)
Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
...and we will switch to boring old PowerPoint...
What is it?
What causes it?
Is it always bad?
What is the result?
How do you handle it?
...but I didn't ask to be a project manager...
David Lindstedt, PhD, PMP
- Office of Distance Education and eLearning
David Mullins, PMP
- Center on Education and Training for Employment
Project Kickoff Meeting
Project Lessons Learned
OK, so, how do we get started?
Taking the PMP
If time and inclination allow...
Project Management 2.0
Dashboards and Metrics
Part One: What's a Project and How Do I Get Started?